General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Battery question

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 07:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery question

Hi all, yesterday my battery took a crap and I was able to get a new one today, I took the old one out for the core charge and the car sat for about 2 hrs with no power.
I put the new batt in and fire the car up and it was running like I pulled 4 plug wires and stalled, it did this 3 times and then started to idle but as soon as I gave it some pedal it wanted to die again and did, fired it back up and it found its idle point so I let it run for about 5 min and shut it off.

my question(s), is the PCM going to have to re-learn everything, is this the norm for battery replacement, is something jacked up???

Thanks in advance for you suggestions and comments.
Bill
Old 05-10-2010, 09:14 PM
Launching!

if it was without power or battery, it will have to "re-learn" but sounds like somthing is wrong... did you reverse polarity between positive and negative? if so you may have damaged the pcm... "re-learn" generally involves irratic idle, but never stalling.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:20 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the reply but no I did not reverse polarity, I'm hoping it just needs to relearn the parameters, I'll find out here at 4:00am when I leave for work haha.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Your ok. It just needs to relearn everything and it takes a bit. Its probably having a hardtime finding idle at first, and when you give it gas, it goes up and then dips down and slowly comes back. Its totally normal, trust me.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:08 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Rychen
Hi all, yesterday my battery took a crap and I was able to get a new one today, I took the old one out for the core charge and the car sat for about 2 hrs with no power.
I put the new batt in and fire the car up and it was running like I pulled 4 plug wires and stalled, it did this 3 times and then started to idle but as soon as I gave it some pedal it wanted to die again and did, fired it back up and it found its idle point so I let it run for about 5 min and shut it off.

my question(s), is the PCM going to have to re-learn everything, is this the norm for battery replacement, is something jacked up???

Thanks in advance for you suggestions and comments.
Bill
My battery was disconnected for 4 weeks last month, that has nothing to do with the PCM acting up or idling badly. You should be able to connect the battery after weeks with no power and the engine should idle perfectly and run normally. I reconnected my battery and it was picture perfect like before, after 4 weeks with zero power.

Whats the latest, have you tried driving it at all? You may have a broken battery cable, that will cause stalling and rough idling.

Old 05-11-2010, 01:34 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^yup, especially if it's the cable that runs to the power distribution center on the driver's wheelwell.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:32 PM
On The Tree

A BIG Thank You to all that tried to help me diagnose the problem, great suggestions guys.
I've never expierienced this with any of my other cars so it had me kinda bugged.
All is well in Formula Land, she ran perfect this morning and on the way home too.
I'm chalking it up to having to relearn the idle etc.
Thanks again
Bill