General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

DRLight socket melted

Old 05-11-2010, 11:36 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DRLight socket melted

i noticed one of my drl's was out so i went to check it and the whole socket for the lighbulb is melted along with some of the light housing? anyone else have this problem? I dont know if the connecter shorted somewhere and jacked up the resitance causing heat without blowing the fuse or something. or maybe the lights just get really hot and this happens. has anyone tried the led ones? and where would be the cheapest place for a new connector to the bulb orielly doesnt have them . only place i can think of would be dealership
Old 05-11-2010, 12:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

VERY common problem.......get a new housing and a dorman socket......even my new housings are starting to melt
Old 05-11-2010, 01:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

agreed ^^^^ every light socket on my car is atleast half way melted lol
Old 05-11-2010, 01:52 PM
Teching In

ya my taillights are blacked out and the brake light bulb melted a dent into it.
id like to hear more about the led ones if anyone has used them? i have aftermarket corner lights so id like to keep them from melting anymore if possible . where can i buy the dorman socket? auto zone?
Old 05-11-2010, 02:01 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jw12dj
i noticed one of my drl's was out so i went to check it and the whole socket for the lighbulb is melted along with some of the light housing? anyone else have this problem? I dont know if the connecter shorted somewhere and jacked up the resitance causing heat without blowing the fuse or something. or maybe the lights just get really hot and this happens. has anyone tried the led ones? and where would be the cheapest place for a new connector to the bulb orielly doesnt have them . only place i can think of would be dealership
Don't buy new sockets at the dealership. Maybe the housings, not the sockets. Go to the thread below, replace both sockets for less than $20.00.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...er-issues.html

Old 05-11-2010, 02:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jw12dj
ya my taillights are blacked out and the brake light bulb melted a dent into it.
id like to hear more about the led ones if anyone has used them? i have aftermarket corner lights so id like to keep them from melting anymore if possible . where can i buy the dorman socket? auto zone?
My SS has dents in the taillamps too
Old 05-11-2010, 02:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LS6427
Don't buy new sockets at the dealership. Maybe the housings, not the sockets. Go to the thread below, replace both sockets for less than $20.00.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...er-issues.html

buy American if you can afford it

however i bought one of the cheap pieces myself (after i bought the GM piece for the passenger side tail) and had no real issues, sometimes it can be a little iffy going back in to the housing thats about it. but like I said if i could afford to buy another $60 GM pigtail over the $8 piece i definitely would
Old 05-11-2010, 03:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

got my sockets at vato zone !!!

Last edited by sjsingle1; 05-17-2010 at 08:28 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:26 PM
Teching In

thanks im gonna have to check out "vato zone" when i get out of class
Old 05-11-2010, 05:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by buddha845
buy American if you can afford it

however i bought one of the cheap pieces myself (after i bought the GM piece for the passenger side tail) and had no real issues, sometimes it can be a little iffy going back in to the housing thats about it. but like I said if i could afford to buy another $60 GM pigtail over the $8 piece i definitely would
Unfortunately....China is the new America. And there's nothing we can do about it..unless there's an assassination in our near future......hahahaha

I just got word through the grapevine from my friends who work in China in the aviation industry....there's a Chinese company over their spooling up right now that will be unseating UPS and FedEx within 5 years.

Sucks, its just reality.

Old 05-11-2010, 06:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LS6427
Unfortunately....China is the new America. And there's nothing we can do about it..unless there's an assassination in our near future......hahahaha

I just got word through the grapevine from my friends who work in China in the aviation industry....there's a Chinese company over their spooling up right now that will be unseating UPS and FedEx within 5 years.

Sucks, its just reality.

Well its not so much a US vs China thing, id prefer to buy everything American if i could but i only have so much money lol. unfortunately you may be right though
Old 05-11-2010, 06:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by buddha845
Well its not so much a US vs China thing, id prefer to buy everything American if i could but i only have so much money lol. unfortunately you may be right though
I spent 2 years in and out of China every month in 2004-2006...I also go there a few times a year for work now.

If the American people could TRULY see whats happening over there, they would first FREAK OUT....then they would all come together like they did the day after 9/11 and make changes hardcore........because America is going away FAST.
Not sure if I'm doing it yet.....but I just got offered a job out of Shanghai, starting in October. Pays $40,000 (USD), tax free, MORE then that same job pays from an American company. Plus, they pay 100% of my housing and food. Nice condo downtown Shanghai. Plus 30 days paid vacation each year. Work schedule is 3 weeks on and 2 weeks off.

Can't get that in America anymore. Things are changing here in a bad way, its very apparent when you go to China though. Things are cranking big time there....

Every time I go there and walk down Peoples Square in downtown Shanghai there's new McDonalds, KFC's, Burger Kings, Subways, Skyscrapers, hotels and condo buildings...etc going up everywhere. They opened a friggin Hooters too. Here in the USA, things are going out of business and unemployment is out of control.

Last edited by LS6427; 05-11-2010 at 08:36 PM.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

damn... wanna hook a guy up with a job?
Old 05-13-2010, 09:39 AM
TECH Resident

Of course things are booming there; they're reaping all that interest benefit from financing most of our 14 Trillion dollar debt.
Old 05-13-2010, 01:03 PM
TECH Addict

Damn. . . . just damn.

I am broke as a joke. . . . I just went to the bone yard and cut some some sockets of a 96. They seemed to be a stronger plastic.

P.S. Real sad when Americans are taking jobs in China since the economy is so bad here. . . . . I truly hope things get back to good. . . . Things are real rough right now
Old 05-13-2010, 02:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by samson_420
Damn. . . . just damn.

I am broke as a joke. . . . I just went to the bone yard and cut some some sockets of a 96. They seemed to be a stronger plastic.

P.S. Real sad when Americans are taking jobs in China since the economy is so bad here. . . . . I truly hope things get back to good. . . . Things are real rough right now
I saw this coming in 2004 when I was in China alot for work. If you go to any city in China other than Beijing.....you see no sort of communism life at all..its just like America. Beijing is the capital, its pretty tight and the Chinese government keeps it pretty communist-like. They still have pictures of the greatest mass murderer in human history, Chairman Moa, so you know they're still holding on to communism in Beijing. But anywhere else, every single sign in store fronts, restaurants, streets, parks, malls, etc. are in English. Everywhere you go, people speak English. How many Americans speak other languages to accomodate foriegners....NONE. There's American companies all over the place in China and when you walk around town and pass by a McDonalds, KFC, Subway and now the Hooters there.....I **** you not, 24/7, there's 100-1,000 people in line around the block to get in. Its hilarious.
The WalMart there.....looks like its 4 times bigger than any Super WalMart here....lines for 1 mile in traffic to get in.

Believe me, I don't want to leave here. I have a pretty good job now, but its not going to last. Every single week I have another friend calling me telling me they're losing their job in a month or they just got laid off....and ask if I can hook them up with a contact for a job. But my industry in China and the Middle East as well as Singapore, India and other places in Micronesia.....are rocking and rolling with ridiculous pay scales. My friend took a job in Singapore last year, the whole package is worth $375,000 per year. I have to stake my claim now. I'll be top seniority if I go take this position in October in Shanghai. Where else can I make $14,000 per month to start, 100% TAX FREE, all housing paid for and a hefty food allowance. 30 days paid off per year, with two 1st class airline tickets home per year for vacation. 3 weeks on/2 weeks off schedule. Not to mention the pay scale goes up every year to a max of $18,000 per month in 5 years. There's nothing in America in my industry that offers that.......and I don't think it will for a good 20 years and thats if we kill Obamas plans right now and start the repair work immediately. Things are getting worse by the week here. I fear that most Americans just don't see whats coming........

I can go there and work for two years and come home with $300K in savings. Work for 8 years and save $1+ million if I'm smart. America just can't offer anything near that anymore.......

Pray hard that this November the Republicans (not that Republicans are anything good, but they're not socialsists who are giving America away little by little) take over the House and Senate, then the Presidency in 2012. If not, the Progressives just might kill America for good or for 100 years.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by transaman98
damn... wanna hook a guy up with a job?
Can you fly a Boeing 747......

My buddy over in Macau (awesome city right next to Hong Kong) just lost his job there. Was going great for 3 years making $160,000/yr. Loving life. The owners are under investigation for embezzelment, even they have scumbags. So all five of their Boeing 757's were repoed by the Australian bank that financed them.

But, the building he was living in has a health club downstairs. He has been a member there for 3 years. They offered him a job as a manager that pays $8,000 per month because he's kind of a semi bodybuilder looking guy, so they thought he would be good for the job. They couldn't find anyone. Its that easy to find good paying work in the major cities in China.

So, depending on what you do, you can bet there's a good job there that you can get.

And the best thing....**** the US thieving government....the money is 100% tax free. Why would any American want to pay taxes anymore to a government that gives it away to foriegn countries like Greece this week (BILLIONS of our money) and spend it on things we DO NOT want them to. Its gonna be nice to keep every penny I make....if I take that job.

I'd be HAPPY to pay my share of taxes...IF its used properly to support and help AMERICANS first......not second and third.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:38 PM
Launching!

I just disabled my DRLs. Damn sockets kept getting toasted. So now, only time they come on is when I turn them on manually. No need to have them on all day, especially in the texas heat... im sure that doesnt help with keeping the sockets from getting toasted

Search this Thread