General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Weird idle issues even after tuning with cam.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 09:33 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird idle issues even after tuning with cam.

Ok. My current problem is the erratic idle performance I keep getting. I installed a .224 .581 112 lsa cam a while back. I had it tuned by someone with HP tuners software. He was able to get my car from 280 tuned by someone I'll leave unmentioned to 330 at the wheels. The idle was perfect.... at first. It lasted about 3 days and it started cutting off when I put it in drive. So I took it back to him. He raised idle and messed with IAC stuff. Problem fixed.... for a minute. 2 or 3 days later, problem back again. This is on a 98. I've heard the computers suck on these but could this be a problem with the IAC motor itself? I'm switching out the auto for a manual next month. I'm sure that will help some. But its still driving me nuts. The other problem is, especially after warm up, is it will idle fine for a second, then start going between 1000 to 1500 rpm. Up and down. I hold the accelerator for a moment and it will even itself out. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:52 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A GOOD TUNER can fix it in like 30 minutes!! You start messing with air tables and get **** all outta wack and it runs like ****. You fix one problem with increasing the air and you open up 2 more!
Old 05-14-2010, 11:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree, get a tuner that really knows these LS1's. There was just a thread earlier this week about the 98 PCM's. I don't tune (wish I did) but some of the tuners from this site said that it was VERY common to have it run perfect and then 3 days later run like garbage. Why, I have no idea but that's what everyone said. However, with a competent tuner it can all be sorted out. I'll try to find the thread for you because a couple guys mentioned some tuners that straightened out the exact problem you are having.
Old 05-14-2010, 03:16 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, its pretty F'ed up. It drives me nuts. Oh well. Maybe it'll get better with this 6 speed swap. That thread would be great.