General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Leaky t-tops

Old 05-17-2010, 08:14 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Leaky t-tops

My wifes 98 Z gets wet more on the inside than the outside during a rain. Any ideas of where to start looking for the leak? None of the rubber looks torn or dry rotted. I guess I need to sit in it and have her spray the water hose on it to find out?
Old 05-17-2010, 08:22 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine does this too, too me it seems like the window doesnt wanna push against the weatherstripping hard enough to get a good seal. If theres a easy solution out there we need to know it!
Old 05-17-2010, 01:31 PM
TECH Resident

She has manual windows on her car. I can see that the window is pushed up against the molding, maybe not tight enougth, but it is here. My 94 Bird has a hard top and I was comparing the two and they both look like they go into the weatherstrip the same. I was kind of wondering if the t-tops themselves are leaking.
Old 05-17-2010, 06:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i use dielectric silicone grease gm#12345579 on my seals. i put a thin film all over them, it is supposed to keep them from getting hard and cause leaks. so far i have no problems with any of them from t-tops to hatch. you dont have to use the gm stuff, i worked for gm dealers for years and had access to it.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:53 PM
TECH Addict

Have you taken them off recently? I noticed i would get a nice leak when I would put them back on, and pinched the rubber coming from the windshield.
-Joel
Old 05-18-2010, 05:59 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Do you get the leak from everywhere or just towards the front?
Old 05-19-2010, 12:49 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 2000Hawk
Have you taken them off recently? I noticed i would get a nice leak when I would put them back on, and pinched the rubber coming from the windshield.
-Joel
I dont' know whent he last time she had them off. I took them off the other day to see if I could tell if anything was wrong. But didn't find any "abnormalities".

Originally Posted by wssix99
Do you get the leak from everywhere or just towards the front?
Not exactly sure where they are leaking. I know it leaves a pool in the drivers seat and the door panel is all wet. She carries a plastic bag for rainy days. Puts it on the seat after she gets out. The passenger side leaks only if the is a strong wind with the rain.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:29 PM
Launching!

Post Leak Diag...

Leaks are easy to find but sometimes difficult to fix.

Start by getting yourself in the drives seat with a flash light.
then have you wife use the water hose (just normal pressure from the hose no spray nozzel) and rush water over the drivers side area, start looking for the "source" of the leak, not just finding water, if it does leak a first then use some pressure with her thumb over the end of the hose to help aid in finding the leak.

9 outof 10 times I believe its the actual left side T-top glass seal, easily replaced in a few minutes with a new seal.

also make sure the door is not sagging and the drive door striker is aligned properly, if it is not this will cause the door to be too low for a proper seal quality.

Good luck sir.
Old 05-19-2010, 02:26 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the tip
Old 05-19-2010, 08:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 297 Likes on 165 Posts

i have a slight leak coming from the driver side window weather stripping where the ttop meets the windshield. the stripping appears to be somewhat dry rotted. is there a way to fix this with out replacing the stripping?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Leaky t-tops