General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

The 2 Rear Oil Pan Bolts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 06:36 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The 2 Rear Oil Pan Bolts?

So I have a oil leak coming from the rear of the oil pan on the passenger side coming from where the pan meets the block. There are 2 bolts on the very back that are close to the bell housing. I went to take them out and a small bit of oil came out. To make matters worse, the passenger side bolt snapped at the threads, think I over torqued it.

Will this cause a problem, and how if possible can I fix it? A little hard to drill out due to the distance, or I may have to find a long as drill bit and try that????
Old 05-18-2010, 04:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah bro, they don't take much torque at all. The best way to get to it is to take the oil pan off with means almost removing the motor bro. The kmember position makes it almost impossible to take the pan off without taking her out. You could probably undo one motor mount and angle the motor so you could undo the rest of the bolts to get what's left of that snapped bolt out. Also atleast 2 of the bellhousing bolts.

I have never attempted to remover the oilpan with the engine still in the ar, so hopefully someone else has experience with that and could post up fella.
Old 05-18-2010, 04:59 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah not sure what I am going to do, bought a long as drill bit today and tried to drill it out, ended up snapping the damn drill bit!

Does that hole where the bolt goes in go to anything else or just up to the back of the pan?

I let the car run for about 15 min, and no leaks. LOL might have fixed my leaking issue.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nah bro, it just bolts to the block itself and that's it. Sounds good though, if problems show later you'll know where its at
Old 05-20-2010, 03:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Drop the k member and pull the pan. **** sucks but its gotta be done.
Old 05-20-2010, 03:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same leak, no broken bolts, and it's not coming from the sides of the gasket. Is there a hole near the starter that goes through the block? Mine never leaks unless the car is running, never a drop in the driveway but somehow it's getting on the exhaust.

Let us know what you find, I am going to be under the car tonight as well, I'll let you know which bolt the oil is dumping out from. Like you said it's from a bolt at the back, or the starter bolts.