General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Fluid in the Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 04:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fluid in the Exhaust

Today I noticed a wet spot in the left tail pipe. It seemed to have a dirty oil like look which had me concerned, but I'm wondering if it's just condensation/build up.

Is it normal for the exhaust buildup to make a dirty liquid with the exhaust condensation?

It doesn't appear to be wet anywhere but right at the end of the tip. I just changed the oil last week and the car has been running fine.

I'm still learning the car so I just wanted to get some feedback.
Old 05-24-2010, 04:54 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes, the entire exhaust system will accumulate moisture (condensation) after you shut it down and starts to cool off.

Unless you have a modded engine with sleeves and you have a sleeve that is "dropping".

If your engine is stock...its condensation. If you are NOT lossing any coolant. If you are lossing coolant, you could have a cracked head I guess and coolant would get sucked into the exhaust. But you would probably have other undesirable symptoms as well.

Old 05-24-2010, 05:20 PM
Staging Lane

I have had to go through a bad head gasket on my beater, but the truck had a bad thermostat which caused it to start running warm which lead the problem.

This car runs real cool and I'd assume it would start missing at some point if it had a head gasket or head problem.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:42 PM
TECH Addict

Some moisture in the exhaust is a normal byproduct of any internal combustion engine.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:06 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by M3xpress
I have had to go through a bad head gasket on my beater, but the truck had a bad thermostat which caused it to start running warm which lead the problem.

This car runs real cool and I'd assume it would start missing at some point if it had a head gasket or head problem.
Not necessarily, it just depends on where the gasket breach or crack is. You will overheat from a bad gasket if the tear/rip is in a way where the compression stroke of the piston near the tear/rip is pushing the air/fuel mixture into the cooling system.......air in the cooling system, leads to pushing the coolant into your reservoir, which leads to overheating because now there's air in the system.

A crack depending on where it is, same thing, it can be bad or ok for awhile and you may just be pissing a little coolant out little by little.

A crack is very unlikely, its very rare in these LSx heads and blocks. Gaskets, they go all the time. Leakdown check might be in order for you if you're concerned about those bad issues.

My suggestion: check your coolant for the next couple weeks, if you're not losing any at all....its condensation. I have it every time I start my car.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its moisture in the exhaust and carbon from the exhaust pipes mixing and comming out...
Old 05-25-2010, 09:58 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LS6427
Not necessarily, it just depends on where the gasket breach or crack is. You will overheat from a bad gasket if the tear/rip is in a way where the compression stroke of the piston near the tear/rip is pushing the air/fuel mixture into the cooling system.......air in the cooling system, leads to pushing the coolant into your reservoir, which leads to overheating because now there's air in the system.

A crack depending on where it is, same thing, it can be bad or ok for awhile and you may just be pissing a little coolant out little by little.

A crack is very unlikely, its very rare in these LSx heads and blocks. Gaskets, they go all the time. Leakdown check might be in order for you if you're concerned about those bad issues.

My suggestion: check your coolant for the next couple weeks, if you're not losing any at all....its condensation. I have it every time I start my car.

I'll keep my eye on it.
Old 05-25-2010, 02:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

its condensation
Old 05-25-2010, 02:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

yup, just moisture and carbon