General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

My Firebird is going thru AC compressors

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 12:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Firebird is going thru AC compressors

Took my 206,000 mile firebird (LS1/T56) to Pontiac with the A/C compressor rattling away. The service tech offered me lifetime parts and labor on the compressor. I'm sure they are regretting that now.

First it was a compressor. Then Accumulators, then condensors, then orifice tubes, then evaporators. They claim they have replaced everything. At least twice. They got a special fluid to clean out everything. Each repair came with a new compressor.

They contacted GM who recommended a couple special filters. One in a hardline the other I believe is inside the evap case.

The tech (2nd one at Pontiac dealer to try working on the AC) last time requested a Genuine GM rebuilt (he said others marked made in Korea).

Net result over last six months are a half dozen compressors, more than one of virtually every other related part. And I am still eating compressors. They rarely last a week without starting to rattle. The current one is on day 8 and sounds like it is ready to fall out of the car.

Car is highway driven every day, and rarely sees more than 4000 rpm. Did I mention its the factory original engine, down to the timing chain? I'm not going to rev the snot out of it at this point.

Any ideas? I have got to get past this point before I start restoring the car. Paint and engines are expensive, and I cannot see getting into those items if I cannot get the A/C is working. After all, I live in sunny South Florida.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:48 PM
TECH Addict

Sounds like it hasn't been flushed properly yet, and is getting crap in the new compressors from the initial failure, compounded by the follow-ons. They have only themselves to blame for not doing it right the first time. Or, as we used to say in the Navy...never enough time to do it right, but always time to do it over.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:32 PM
Teching In

That's the part that kills me. They have had the car for a week at a time the last few attempts. Luckily I still have my stand by 2000 Grand Prix GTP with 202,000 miles. (yeah, American cars don't last).

At least once they had to wait for a 'special fluid' to flush it. They claim to have replaced everything except the hard lines. Something had to be missed.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:36 PM
12 Second Club

Replace everything at the same time. It sounds like trash is still killing it. Also, im pretty sure you can have a tune where you AC compressor clutch will disengage at a lower rpm preventing damage....
Old 05-29-2010, 12:00 AM
TECH Addict

It is crap in the condenser and evaporator. . . . Lodged deep in, then broke loose when the compressor kicks on.