General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

D/S Window won't roll up

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 12:22 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D/S Window won't roll up

I think my !@#^ D/S window slid off its track and now it won't roll up. It will roll up about 1 inch from the fully down position, then stop. I can't pull it up at all. Is this going to be as much of a PITA to fix as I think it is?
Old 05-28-2010, 02:06 PM
Launching!

Take your door panel off and see what it actually is. IMO i think it is the motor going out and those are fairly easy to fix.
Old 05-29-2010, 12:36 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

If the window works fine otherwise, this is a warning that your window is going out. Consider yourself lucky!

To get the window up, try opening the door, lowering the window, and then grabbing and pulling up on the glass as it goes up. This may give the motor enough help to get the glass up before the bad thermal cutoff kicks in. If this works, don't put the window down until you are ready to replace the motor! (It can get worse...)
Old 05-29-2010, 10:07 PM
TECH Regular

I haven't gotten a chance to take the door panel off because I'm out of town and didn't take my car there since I can't secure it.

I don't see how it could be the motor if it rolls down and up (well, to that point at least) at full speed. again, even with the button pressed, I can't raise it at all.

The one thing that did help is when I slammed the door several times and got it to roll up a few more inches, but not all the way.

Am I in for a long, hard repair here? Do F-body windows have tracks and is it common for them to slide off?
Old 05-30-2010, 08:55 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by ArkBird96
I don't see how it could be the motor if it rolls down and up (well, to that point at least) at full speed. again, even with the button pressed, I can't raise it at all.
Well, its not "the motor" but it is a component in the motor housing. There is a thermal cutoff switch that senses when the window is all the way up or down. When that happens, the switch gets hot and cuts the circuit. (So the motor doesn't keep going and rip apart your door.) When this switch goes bad, it engages too early. As your window goes up and starts contacting the weatherstripping, it encounters resistance and shuts off. When your door is open, its not hitting the seals and can get a bit further. The longer you wait, the worse this problem is going to get. If you tug up on the glass as the window is going up (with the door open) you might give it enough "help" to keep it from cutting off. If this works, count your blessings and don't operate it again until you have a new motor.

Originally Posted by ArkBird96
Am I in for a long, hard repair here? Do F-body windows have tracks and is it common for them to slide off?
The factory method is a bitch of a repair. Do a search for the shbox method. He has a much easier/faster way of doing it.

When you get a new motor, you'll want to go for a Doorman motor. (The casing looks a bit different as its a new design.) The Doorman is better sealed against the elements and is 100% new. Other brands may have reman or used parts in them.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:47 AM
TECH Addict

put a new motor piece in...mine was cheap to do..
Old 05-31-2010, 07:19 PM
TECH Regular

Bump it!

So I got back to the car, and it is the motor. I'm going to get a new motor and put it in within the next couple of days. Thanks for your help!
Old 06-01-2010, 08:18 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just replaced my passenger motor today and It was not as bad as I thought. I used the shbox methad as wssix99 posted. It probably took me about a hour and half to get it all done, and that includes driving to the parts store to get the new motor.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:17 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gotta love em F-body windows hehe....yes it is common for motors to go out/ off track windows on these cars.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:23 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did the thermo mod and fixed my dead motor........try it before buying a new window motor. Just remove the motor and pull out the plastic connection terminal. I cut off the yellow resistor and soldered in a jumper and presto!!!!! Motor works like new!!
Old 06-02-2010, 12:44 PM
TECH Regular

I replaced the motor yesterday morning and it works fine now. When I took the door panel and took off all that $%^ plastic, I noticed that the rivets had already been drilled out and the rivets on the motor itself had been replaced with screws, so apparently, this isn't the first time that motor has gone bad.

You're right about those windows. I don't think I've ever had a car that something like that hasn't happened to actually. Depending on how bad it is and if it actually slid off track, it is a real PITA to fix on some cars.

Quick Reply: D/S Window won't roll up