General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Windows will only go up from driver's side?

Old 05-31-2010, 09:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windows will only go up from driver's side?

I installed the window fix kit on the passenger window to make it not go up so slowly. After a few months, the window stopped going up on that side all together. I found out the relays that come with the kit were leaking grey fluid so I took everything out and hooked up the stock connections. Still doesn't go up. I thought the switch was bad so I replaced it and still nothing. The driver's side window switches will roll up both windows but the passenger side switch won't do anything.

If the driver's side works the passenger window, wouldn't that mean everything is hooked up correctly?
Old 05-31-2010, 11:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

you would think that would be the case but its not so. If it wont go up OR down from the passenger switch but will work from the driver side switches than the only possibility is low or no voltage on pin "A" of the passenger switch. I'm betting there is 0 volts at pin "a" and either you'll find a bad pin or broken wire...

Just because I know you'll ask...

From the drivers side switches the power goes through either pin "b" or "e" (up or down) on the passenger switches...but from the passenger switches it only comes from pin "a"...that means pin "b" and "e" are working, pin "c" and "d" go to the motor so that only leaves one pin left....."a"

Let us know
Old 05-31-2010, 01:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So switch isn't bad... wire is the problem?
Old 05-31-2010, 10:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

right. Check pin "A" for 12vdc with a meter.
Old 10-16-2010, 08:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I checked all the connections at the pins and the wires. I have 11.7v on pin a on the passenger side but if I push up on the window switch, the voltage reads 0. I bought a new passenger switch and didn't solve it. When I push the passenger switch up, I don't hear a click or anything indicating that the motor is even trying to roll it up.

This problem started a few months after installing the autotrix window kit. When I took the panel off the passenger door, the "fuses" or flashers that came with the kit were leaking black fluid everywhere. I found 2 new flashers (almost $20 a piece!) and installed them thinking that was the weak leak but didn't fix anything. The passenger window stopped rolling up from both sides for awhile, so I got rid of the autotrix kit and respliced the wires back to stock. Now it goes up and down from the driver side and only goes down from the passenger side.

Maybe one of the wires isn't in the right spot? Just to be sure, what color wire hooks up to each pin on the passenger window switch?

Search this Thread