General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Low oil pressure at idle

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 09:07 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Low oil pressure at idle

My 2000 Z28 has very low oil pressure at idle...the needle is right at the first mark maybe a tiny bit higher and as soon as i give it throttle the gauge goes up to 40 as soon as i let off the gas and back to idle the gauge goes down as well. Also when my car is idleing the guage moves around alot looks like its possesed or somethin. Anybody know what it might be?? The car also starts to idle at 500 RPM and starts to shake/vibrate...then the engine revs itself back up to the normal 600 its usually at then idles normal for a few seconds and then misfires again.

Edit: I checked the oil level and its perfect BTW
Old 06-01-2010, 10:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Put a real gauge on it to see what your oil pressure really is.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:27 PM
11 Second Club

Bout to say mine always has had low pressure once its warmed up, not that low to say but maybe 30ish, that was the way it was with a stock pump, and now i have a ported...same thing at idle. With yours jumping all around Id say its a bad sending unit. But if the car is idling like ****..then that would make it bounce around to.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

mine has the same issues. and i just replaced the oil sending unit/switch thing thats impossible to reach. other suggestions? your car an a4 or m6?
Old 06-02-2010, 04:48 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by camaro981289
My 2000 Z28 has very low oil pressure at idle...the needle is right at the first mark maybe a tiny bit higher and as soon as i give it throttle the gauge goes up to 40 as soon as i let off the gas and back to idle the gauge goes down as well. Also when my car is idleing the guage moves around alot looks like its possesed or somethin. Anybody know what it might be?? The car also starts to idle at 500 RPM and starts to shake/vibrate...then the engine revs itself back up to the normal 600 its usually at then idles normal for a few seconds and then misfires again.

Edit: I checked the oil level and its perfect BTW
Like "fleetmgr" said, check it with a real guage just to make sure your internals are ok.

But whats with the misfires....??? Are you getting an SES light? You need to go see if you have codes. Has the SES light ever flashed at you?

Quick Reply: Low oil pressure at idle