General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Can someone tell me why you arent supposed to....

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 07:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can someone tell me why you arent supposed to....

Put a new alternator in a car with a low charge/deadish battery? Cause I just changed my alternator out(confirmed it was bad at Autozone) Put the new one in the car but then my father told me doing that can be bad for a new alternator. What gives? Im currently charging my battery now.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

auto zone batteries come fully charge. everything should be fine unles you have problems with wiring, etc.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:29 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by wantmore
Put a new alternator in a car with a low charge/deadish battery? Cause I just changed my alternator out(confirmed it was bad at Autozone) Put the new one in the car but then my father told me doing that can be bad for a new alternator. What gives? Im currently charging my battery now.
Its one of those myths that get handed down from father to son and it keeps on going......

Alternators charge batteries.......it can't hurt the alternator to ask it to do its job. My friend started his car with a friends battery in Daytona at college, took it out after the engine was started and gave it back to him, (didn't have jumper cables), then drove to Tampa with no battery in the car, just alternator powering everything. People say thats bad too, not in his case......... (pretty sure he took the battery out anyway, can;'t remember for sure, either way, his battery was completely fried)

Many times over the years I've left headlight on or whatever and drained the battery dead. Got a jump start and drove off right away. Letting the alternator charge the battery while I drive....never had a problem at all with the alternators.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:36 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by spdygon
auto zone batteries come fully charge. everything should be fine unles you have problems with wiring, etc.
No no no... Im sorry I was kind of confusing with my first post. I had a bad alternator. Which by the time I drove and got my car home it was about to stall out due to the bad alternator(it was running on the battery only) So I replaced the alternator but still had a low battery.

I was looking at alternators on Advance Auto and came across a alternator that said " INSTALLATION ALERT! This alternator will overheat if installed with a battery that is not fully charged." http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...S_538998090___
Old 06-04-2010, 09:51 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah, if you have a stone dead battery it can do that. You end up with the alternator either at or very near max output for too long. Alt's have a max rating, but that doesn't mean that they can produce max forever without overheating. They aren't rated for 100% duty cycle.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:21 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by fleetmgr
Yeah, if you have a stone dead battery it can do that. You end up with the alternator either at or very near max output for too long. Alt's have a max rating, but that doesn't mean that they can produce max forever without overheating. They aren't rated for 100% duty cycle.
Thank you fleet. That was the info i was looking for. Basically a alternator having to charge a DEAD DEAD battery makes it run to long at max output... Thanks guys!
Old 06-05-2010, 03:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Charging a dead battery is hard on the alternator.

A dead battery doesn't like a 100 amp blast either. A dead battery should be plugged into a charger at 2 amps for a few hours.