General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Battery Drainage...help!

Old 06-08-2010, 11:28 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Battery Drainage...help!

Quick synopsis... A couple of days ago I'm driving home from my buddys place and I notice my voltage meter is low. Check gages light goes on blah blah blah and on my route back to my house the car dies on me. First thing that comes to my mind is the alternator. I get the car home take out the Alternator, get it tested at autozone, failed the test. While I was removing the old one I broke off the pigtail wire that connects to the back. I ended up replacing the alternator anyway and just wrapping the broken wire with electric tape. For the last 4 days the car ran fine, volt meter was still getting low but I figured that was due to the unattached wire. Yesterday same exact things happens like the first time and the car dies.

Now this makes me think that its something other then the alternator. Even if the alternator isn't hooked up to the computer in the car, the positive wire is still connected tot he alternator and should still charge the battery while its running. Could it possibly be something else in the car that is shorting the battery and draining it? I know this was a long synopsis but this ***** really getting ridiculous and all help would be appreciated.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:12 PM
Launching!

Make sure that the wire you broke and put back together is not exposed and arching off of anything. Also have you checked the battery? If your battery got low because of the alternator then one of the cells in the battery could be bad.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:33 PM
On The Tree

Have used two different batteries so that can't be the problem. Would that wire being exposed to something cause the battery to die?
Old 06-08-2010, 01:39 PM
Launching!

Yes if the wire is exposed and touches metal that would cause a short. Also on the back of the alternator where the positive wire connects. Did you make sure that the nut was secure?

Also what i would do is check the voltage from the alternator to the battery and see if its sending the proper voltage. What kind of alternator did you get was it brand new or a remanufactured. Autozone alternators are garbage i have had to replace mine four times in two years. Soon to be five when i get home.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:47 PM
TECH Addict

The wire you broke off was the exciter wire. An alternator requires a small amount of juice from the battery before it will produce anything. If that gets broken off (or broken somewhere inside the insulation), your alternator will just sit there doing nothing but spinning, and your battery will die. Fix that wire right, and all will be well.
Old 06-08-2010, 04:05 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by fleetmgr
The wire you broke off was the exciter wire. An alternator requires a small amount of juice from the battery before it will produce anything. If that gets broken off (or broken somewhere inside the insulation), your alternator will just sit there doing nothing but spinning, and your battery will die. Fix that wire right, and all will be well.
Thats what I needed to hear thanks a lot.
Old 06-08-2010, 04:13 PM
On The Tree

Anyone know where I can get one?
Old 06-08-2010, 08:40 PM
TECH Addict

I think you can get them at any parts store.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:39 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by fleetmgr
I think you can get them at any parts store.
I've gone to every autozone/pepboys/advance and none of them even carry it. The wire pulled straight out of the plug so i need that piece too. Tried calling a dealership and they had no idea wtf I was talking about and a bunch of junkyards by me. Any place online? Also could I maybe get this wire off of another gm car?
Old 06-09-2010, 09:53 AM
TECH Addict

If you search through the site here, you'll see threads talking about this same problem - and where to get the parts. Maybe even part #'s.

Search this Thread