General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Firebird Headlight- Not the usual problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 01:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Firebird Headlight- Not the usual problems

I've already switched to metal gears so that isn't the issue here. Hopefully this explanation makes sense. This issue happened out of the blue.

My drivers side headlight won't close all the way, it comes about 1.5" short of being fully closed. The arm attached to the motor is hitting the stop too early. I've taken the arm off the motor and re-adjusted it 3x now. After the adjustment it always works correctly for about a week, then the same problem re-occurs. Any ideas?
Old 06-10-2010, 12:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This might sound dumb, but make sure the arm that lifts the headlight is attached to the motor correctly. When I rebuilt my headlight motors, I put one on backwards without realizing it(180* off), and it would be about 1.5 inches short of closing all the way. The only thing is, it wouldn't open all the way either, so im not sure if thats your problem.

Its worth looking at lol. Good luck.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Interesting.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The arm is attached correctly to the motor. I've tried it both ways now and even if it's 180* off I still end up with the same problem after about a week. It almost seems like the motor could be running a little too long every time the headlights go up and down, and after awhile it causes the arm to hit the stop too early...not even sure if this is possible.

My only other thought is this. When I put the arm on the motor, I didn't have the headilght fully opened, probably only 3/4 of the way up. Would this affect anything?
Old 06-10-2010, 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

I dont think that would make a difference.The motor operates until the headlight wont move any farther. Im really not sure what your problem is.

Does the other headlight work properly?
Old 06-10-2010, 03:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes the passenger side works fine. I put metal gears in both motors at the end of last summer, and both headlights have worked correctly up until now. This problem just came out of nowhere. I've had to mess with it for the last 3 weekends now, and it always works correctly when I'm done. Then by the end of the week I have the same problem again
Old 06-10-2010, 06:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

I really dont know. I would compare the two closely, and try to find something different about the drivers side light. I guess thats all I can tell you. Maybe someone will come in who has had the same problem. Good luck.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

you can adjust the white stopper to either "lift" or "lower" the headlight in the down position.
Old 06-15-2010, 01:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I do have the white stopper adjusted. The light would stop closing before ever getting to the little stopper.

Hopefully I don't have to worry about this anymore. The headlight started working again this weekend! I didn't touch anything and now it closes correctly again, not sure what's going on with this thing but hopefully it stays this way. Thanks. for the suggestions everyone.
Old 06-15-2010, 04:33 PM
Teching In

sounds like you have a faulty headlight controller... does this problem coincide with a wet or rainy day?
Old 06-16-2010, 10:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I never really noticed if the problem happened after it rained. It's been raining a lot this month so it's possible that is what's happening.

Quick Reply: Firebird Headlight- Not the usual problems