Go Back   LS1TECH > CHASSIS, SUSPENSION, APPEARANCE > General Maintenance & Repairs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

General Maintenance & Repairs
Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds
Sponsored by
Gearstar Performance Transmissions

Welcome to LS1Tech.com!
Welcome to LS1Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join LS1Tech.com today!

Old 06-12-2010, 03:19 PM   #1
Teching In
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 0
Default Prothane trans mount

I just recently replaced my broken stock trans mount with a prothane motion control mount from summit and i noticed driving home a slight vibration shrugged it off being a harder material than standard rubber but the next morning going to work going down the freeway from 60 on it has a really noticiable vibration/thumping sound that you can feel in the seat and center console area big time. More of a thumping because you can feel the thump in the shifter. Anyone ever heard of any kinda issues similar before??? Motor mounts are still factory also. Thank you
Old 06-12-2010, 03:22 PM   #2
TECH Apprentice
1998 Chevrolet Camaro

Trader Rating: 1

do a search man...there are literally hundreds of threads on this topic. The condensed version is if you use a prothane trans mount you need to do prothane engine mounts or solid mounts. Regardless though you will have more vibration with prothane. Most people use it for a while...get tired of it....and put on a stock rubber mount.

BOA279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 03:29 PM   #3
11 Second Club
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 6
Send a message via AIM to SexyTransAm Send a message via MSN to SexyTransAm Send a message via Yahoo to SexyTransAm

is the search button broke?

just your every day slow LT1. wanna try her out?
MY F-QUICK PAGE. If you really need LT1 help go to www.ltxtech.com
'80 Trans Am boosted LQ4 swap coming soon
SexyTransAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 03:57 PM   #4
Teching In
Garage is empty, add now

Oh ok. Thank you BOA279. Still new to this forum wasnt aware of the search. Thanx though bro. Cool well i guess i'll be ordering the stock one then.
Old 06-12-2010, 06:56 PM   #5
TECH Regular
Garage is empty, add now

Did you install it with the spacer?I did and noticed good amount if vibration then took out spacer and it smoothed out.It throws the drive shaft angle off and the U-joints are not correct angle to the rear end.
Magic Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 12:11 PM   #6
Teching In
Garage is empty, add now

No i did not use a spacer but stupid me found that i left off a washer, that was the only thing i could see that wasnt right when i put it in the air saturday after work, took crossmember down and double checked everything put it back on and the vibration practically went away, now can barely feel anything till about 70 then its a slight vibration, i'll give it some time to see if it breaks in any and go from there. Thanx guys.
Old 06-17-2010, 02:09 AM   #7
TECH Veteran
Garage is empty, add now

sick and tired of all the .......i put polys on and i get major vibes......poly all the way here........NO VIBES
sjsingle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 08:31 AM   #8
TECH Senior Member
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 87

Poly trans mount with stock motor mounts=Big no-no. Puts too much stress on the trans' tailshaft. Go back to rubber.

01 SS Rally Red A4 #4987, 04 Yukon XL Denali, 99 Cadillac STS-SOLD
01ssreda4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 03:33 PM   #9
TECH Addict
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjsingle1 View Post
sick and tired of all the .......i put polys on and i get major vibes......poly all the way here........NO VIBES
Calm down broswki, you've only been here for 4 months.
94'BLKBRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 04:12 PM   #10
TECH Fanatic
2002 Pontiac Trans Am

Trader Rating: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOA279 View Post
Most people use it for a while...get tired of it....and put on a stock rubber mount.
That would be me!

19) You secretly watch people in the parking lot as you start your car up, and you get a kick out of it when they turn to see what the hell that was.
Michael02hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 11:24 PM   #11
TECH Veteran
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94'BLKBRD View Post
Calm down broswki, you've only been here for 4 months.
but had my bird much longer
sjsingle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 05:03 AM   #12
Launching!
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 7

mine did the same thing... itll eventually go away
Old 06-19-2010, 10:04 AM   #13
Teching In
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixShooterCam View Post
mine did the same thing... itll eventually go away
It seems like its already going away been a week already. I just need to get everything i need to install my headers and while i tackle that im gonna get poly motor mounts. Hopefully the stock ones will be alright till then.
Old 06-19-2010, 12:50 PM   #14
Launching!
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 5

I have used just poly trans mounts in multiple cars without ever using poly motor mounts. Granted, I would rather have the poly motor mounts too. But I've never ever had a problem with tailshafts breaking. Thats 3 Firebirds, one 82 SE, one 85 T/A, and one 91 Formula. Formy was a manual. All others were auto. But I've also used them in Mustangs without problems. I don't get where ya'll are getting this from. Have you actually broken a tailshaft doing this before? I dare not say I'm an expert but I would say I've done it enough to know it is safe. To hell with the stock rubber mounts breaking. I'm not replacing those things every other week. I replaced 3 in the Formy in 2 weeks. NO NO NO. Not me. Ya'll do what you want. Just my opinion. I'm not pissed in any way. Please don't try to flame me.
98ZEMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 02:04 PM   #15
Teching In
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98ZEMT View Post
I have used just poly trans mounts in multiple cars without ever using poly motor mounts. Granted, I would rather have the poly motor mounts too. But I've never ever had a problem with tailshafts breaking. Thats 3 Firebirds, one 82 SE, one 85 T/A, and one 91 Formula. Formy was a manual. All others were auto. But I've also used them in Mustangs without problems. I don't get where ya'll are getting this from. Have you actually broken a tailshaft doing this before? I dare not say I'm an expert but I would say I've done it enough to know it is safe. To hell with the stock rubber mounts breaking. I'm not replacing those things every other week. I replaced 3 in the Formy in 2 weeks. NO NO NO. Not me. Ya'll do what you want. Just my opinion. I'm not pissed in any way. Please don't try to flame me.
Seems like you got a point bud. I'll take your word on that. How were your cars vibration wise after the poly mount?
Old 06-19-2010, 04:59 PM   #16
Staging Lane
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 30

I did Poly Trans mount last year, Ended year with lots of vib's. Early this year i Did Poly Motor Mounts this spring, Calmed it down, a lot! Defiantly Match the mounts: Poly to Poly or Rubber to Rubber.
Audio:Alpine CDA-105, Doors-Kicker KS6.2 components,BPost-Kicker KS60, MTX Sub
sonofmooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 06:33 AM   #17
Launching!
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 5

I personally had no more vibration with the poly mount than with the rubber mount. I'll put it this way. I was a hell of a lot less with the poly than it was with the broken rubber mount!!
98ZEMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 08:13 AM   #18
Teching In
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98ZEMT View Post
I personally had no more vibration with the poly mount than with the rubber mount. I'll put it this way. I was a hell of a lot less with the poly than it was with the broken rubber mount!!
Lol. That is the truth there bro!!!
Old 06-23-2010, 09:02 PM   #19
TECH Junkie
1995 Pontiac Firebird

Trader Rating: 14

I had the same problem with my poly tranny mount. I returned it and put a stock rubber one in (bought a lifetime warranty one) and that took care of the problem like these others have said. I believe im on my 2nd or 3rd free lifetime warranty tranny mount
Old 06-24-2010, 02:21 PM   #20
12 Second Club
Garage is empty, add now

i had the polly mount for about 3 days and took mine back out and went with a 1le mount from thunder racing it was like 50 bucks or so.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:21 PM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird

Paid Advertisement

Tags
7106, body, broken, camaro, control, install, issues, ls1, ls1tech, motion, mount, poly, prothane, rattle, tranny, trans, vibration