General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

VERY frustrated!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 03:53 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry VERY frustrated!!

a couple weeks ago the neg. lead on my battery melted off,completely melted the lead/solder and i have no idea why. i checked the battery cables to make sure they didn't melt and ground out on something,there fine. Tried another battery,nothing but sparks when trying to hook it up.No fuses are blown.WTF is going on here! what else is there to check? i really have no idea what to do and this car is pissing me off
Old 06-12-2010, 05:07 PM
Launching!

well you have a short some where it should hav blown a fuse but look like its some where there is no fuse it didnt melt the main battery lines because they are the biggest it will melt smaller ones first start tracing lines until you find the short
Old 06-12-2010, 06:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

You've got to follow your positive leads all the way to their termination end to see where the hell they are possibly melted thru & grounded out.
Header area would be the first place I'd look.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:14 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by PontiacFan
You've got to follow your positive leads all the way to their termination end to see where the hell they are possibly melted thru & grounded out.
Header area would be the first place I'd look.
yep this is what i did,all the way to the starter/alt./fuse area they are totally fine.this is confusing the hell outta me i thought it HAD to be the leads since it fried the battery and no fuses are blown??
Old 06-14-2010, 02:22 PM
On The Tree

I think a bad ground will do this as well. If I remember right I did shave the paint off the ground I made in the trunk when installing my subs...went to hook up negative and it melted it completely within seconds.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:20 PM
On The Tree

Try laying a big *** crescent wrench across the battery terminal post to check for continuity.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:26 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 428 78T/A
Try laying a big *** crescent wrench across the battery terminal post to check for continuity.

LMAO

Check ALL of your connections. . .
Old 06-15-2010, 01:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 428 78T/A
haha that fk up, prepair for big spark and see that black burn mark on the wrench lol. ask me how I know
Old 06-16-2010, 01:21 AM
Launching!

anyone have something showing were all the grounds are so i can check that out,im thinking it might be this because i was having grounding issues when i first got the car and the problem magically went away somehow so i never worried about it.

also how do i change the actual bolt that you screw into the terminal,thats done for as well.