General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Spun rod bearing.. what do i do? yes ive tried searching..

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 08:25 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spun rod bearing.. what do i do? yes ive tried searching..

Alright i already did a search on a spun rod bearing but people are always talking about stroking it.. All i want to do is just find out what parts do i have to buy and what do i have to do to get it running back to normal.. And yes im sure its a spun rod bearing.. This is my second time spinning on a different motor. Last time a mechanic fixed it while i was in iraq so i have no idea what he did, and that was with my old ls1 which i sold, any advice would be nice plan on trying to start working on it tomorrow. thanks in advance guys i appreciate it...

details and specs.
ls1 motor 10,xxx miles
10w30 mobile 1 synthetic (changed religiously)
only mods slp induction kit and borla exhaust.
oil presure is always around 40-43 psi
Old 06-12-2010, 10:00 PM
TECH Addict

It's overhaul time.
Old 06-13-2010, 12:15 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The question is how in the hell did you spin the rod bearing... motor is stock and pretty much brand new... what are you doing?

Not sure how your mechanic "fixed" it, but you need to replace the crankshaft and the connecting rod.. which is why everyone says to stroke it.

Basically a complete overhaul.
Old 06-13-2010, 04:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

you probably wont need a new crank unless you really scored it but in short you will need to completely tear the motor down and the rod that spun will most likely need to be replaced. If the crank is still salvageable they maybe able to grind it down a 10 thousandth and you would just use an undersize bearing. Other than that everything else you can reuse especially with that low mileage pistons valvetrain etc as long as it all still looks good and free of metal shavings order all new bearings and reassemble. I would replace the oil pump as low oil psi may have caused it to go and besides that its cheap insurance. do you kno wat caused the failure
Old 06-14-2010, 12:00 PM
TECH Resident

I just don't see how it would happen
Old 06-15-2010, 06:30 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pull the motor out first. Then take it all the way apart. Have your crank turned on and buy an oversized bearing. I had my rod side of my crank turned .030 so you should be able to use the crank in the motor now. Just replace the rod that the bearing spun in. Then have the bottom end all balanced and it will be as good as new.

After you clean it completely of course bc you will want the block put in the vat and cleaned really well to get any metal shavings out.
Old 06-17-2010, 02:56 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 7th Darkness
The question is how in the hell did you spin the rod bearing... motor is stock and pretty much brand new... what are you doing?

A spud bearing in a LSx is not very common unless: 1. you have massive mileage on the motor or 2. you are beating the motor to mad **** with no oil in it

Really, how?

Quick Reply: Spun rod bearing.. what do i do? yes ive tried searching..