General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

help with overheating

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 12:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with overheating

hey all, i have a 2001 m6 z28, 85k miles, that has been overheating on me. during normal driving, about 30-60mph the car runs around 220-230* but when i stop the car, or when i get on the highway at about 65-70mph the CHECK GAUGES light will come on. if i run the heat it will take it back down to 220-230 but if i turn it off it goes right into the red. Both fans are working, and i know its not the sensor because the engine does get very hot. If i turn the AC on it overheats even faster.

Today i installed a new thermostat and the car ran at about 205* for 5 minutes will sitting. Then suddenly, it got hotter than it ever has, it went all the way into the red, i checked the engine and some coolant was overflowing, but other than that all seemed normal. by the time i had finished looking under the hood, it go so hot it began to stall out.

FYI there was no gunk in the radiator when i looked, and the coolant was clean.

maybe there is air in the system? how should i go about bleeding it out?

thanks guys, i really need to get this fixed.
Old 06-18-2010, 04:26 PM
TECH Addict

#1 Is your air dam in place? You'll overheat on the highway no matter what else you do without it.

#2 You still have air in the system. Not sure how to bleed it out of an LS.
Old 06-18-2010, 04:28 PM

hey man i had the same problem with my camaro ss. i had air in the system and what i did was pull the radiator cap off and started my car and waited for the coolant to rise in the radiator, once it got close to the top i put the cap back on and i haven't had a problem since.

don't know if this was the right thing to do or not but it seemed to do the trick. my car was overheating about a month and a half ago and it hasn't done it since.

goodluck man
Old 06-18-2010, 07:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Bleed air from the steam crossover tube hose.