General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

~~ 0 Oil PSI on startup | Tapping!!! ~~ Input Please

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 03:28 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exclamation ~~ 0 Oil PSI on startup | Tapping!!! ~~ Input Please

GO TO POST 16

When I start the car, the oil PSI will hover at zero for about a second or so. And during that time I can hear tapping from the engine bay (lifters, valves?). Sound stops as soon as the pressure goes up. All seems fine after that, but...

The oil pressure gauge fluctuates a lot. Not like up and down real smooth, more like flickering and twitching.

The 0 PSI issue started after changing the oil. Granted I did wait some time to change it due to a massive valve cover leak (just kept adding oil to it). Got the leak fixed, changed oil, used a 13 dollar Mobil one filter (because I couldnt find anything else). Now I have this....

Do I have a major problem? Bad filter? What do I do to fix the gauge flux?

Last edited by nimrod.sixty9; 07-17-2010 at 04:09 PM.
Old 06-18-2010, 03:39 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

have you checked your oil pressure sending unit on the back side of the intake? These break easily.. have you been fiddling around back there much lately?
Old 06-18-2010, 03:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmmm. . . . Get a mechanical gauge and go from there.

Possibly the filter or something big fucked.

My newly acquired POS wrangler does that. But it still maintains at least 5 PSI.
Old 06-18-2010, 03:40 PM
TECH Addict

Damn double post. . . . .
Old 06-18-2010, 03:46 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by djfury05
have you checked your oil pressure sending unit on the back side of the intake? These break easily.. have you been fiddling around back there much lately?
I did have my hands back there when pulling out the broken PCV lines. But the gauge flux has been happening since Ive had the car.

Where exactly is the sending unit? Never knew they would be able to place it on the intake... Pic avail?

Originally Posted by samson_420
Hmmmm. . . . Get a mechanical gauge and go from there.

Possibly the filter or something big fucked.

My newly acquired POS wrangler does that. But it still maintains at least 5 PSI.
How/where would I go about putting on a mech gauge? I really prefer to keep the stocker or get the stocker working.

What could be "fucked"? I know the gauge could be wrong, but Im still worried about that tapping.

If your talking about thw 4.0 then I say its normal (I have the same **** with my ZJ)...
Old 06-18-2010, 04:08 PM
TECH Regular

So I have to go though this hell just to replace the sensor?!

Im more worried about the tapping LOL
Old 06-18-2010, 04:49 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

that looks way more complicated then it really is lol.. have you ever removed your intake manifold yourself? If so you'd know it takes like 20 minutes lol..

no need to disconnect the fuel line from the rails just pop out all the injectors and the 4 10mm nuts holding the rails on. Either way is fine and the fuel line disconnect is easier but u can save money if you don't have a disconnect tool.
Old 06-18-2010, 06:23 PM
TECH Addict

I don't know where you can tap into a LS motor to get oil pressure

Use the mechanical as a temporary reference.
Old 06-18-2010, 06:35 PM
TECH Addict

Theres a small block off plate above the oil filter that can be tapped very easily! With that being said, the intake manifold is a 10 minute job. Just take it off and replace the sensor. lol. Hell of a lot less messy, really
Old 06-18-2010, 08:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by XtremeDime
the intake manifold is a 10 minute job

If the engine is sitting on a stand in front of your car. . . LoL

I always wondered what the hell that plate thing was for. . . .

I say first start with a mechanical gauge, it will give you a true reading. Then if it reads good, swap the sensor.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:51 PM
TECH Regular

Either way, there is deff a low pressure at startup and I have tapping for a sec or two. So what can cause that.

I look more into taking off the intake. Need to weigh options (as soon as I get more).
Old 06-18-2010, 08:57 PM
Launching!

Um, dumb question but are you sure its full of oil? My Taurus does the same thing when its low on oil. On first startup it will rattle for just a second before it goes away. Thats when I know to add more oil!!! I know. I should be checking it more often. That or possibly a shitty oil pump.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:48 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 98ZEMT
Um, dumb question but are you sure its full of oil? My Taurus does the same thing when its low on oil. On first startup it will rattle for just a second before it goes away. Thats when I know to add more oil!!! I know. I should be checking it more often. That or possibly a shitty oil pump.
It was low on oil . Added, no change. But again, this has happened since my oil change (when it was deff full).
Old 06-23-2010, 12:30 AM
TECH Regular

And another thing I need to mention/question

When I nail second and bark the tires (when the clutch allows) I get a nice puff of black smoke from the tails... WTF is that about?

I thought I should mention it here incase its related (and I already have too many threads started).

Thanks for all the input guys!
Old 07-15-2010, 08:39 PM
TECH Regular

Still having the tapping every so often. Still havent had a chance to replace the sending unit.

I should note that Im deff consuming oil. As far as I can tell, my leak has been taken care of for quite sometime. Where the hell is it going?

Also when I pulled the line to my catch can I noticed smoke?! Just thought Id throw that out there..

Another thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...w-explain.html
Old 07-17-2010, 04:17 AM
TECH Regular

Had a hell of a knocking! Low on oil again... just added some 2 days ago... I was head down the highway when I heard it and it was knocking quite loud. Checked the oil and it was low. Luckily I had some compression restore oil crap in the trunk (didnt have any oil). Drove about five miles and the sound went away.

Do you guys think I did any perm damage?

Where in the hell is all that oil going?
Old 07-17-2010, 08:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It sounds like you need an oil pump, once they run dry and don't pump oil, or cavitate (pump dry), they're pretty much done.Yeah they'll still pump oil, eventually,definitely not as efficiently.When you said above that you had to add a lot of oil at times because of a leak, thats what probably did it in. $.02
Old 07-21-2010, 05:00 PM
TECH Regular

No, I dont have a leak... Oil is just disappering. And Im still wondering about that knock..
Old 07-22-2010, 07:32 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds weird. Are you sure it's not piston slap on first start-up. I know my 5.3 truck "knocks" when I start it up and it take about 10 sec before it quits.

As for the oil pressure issue, I think you maybe just need to break down and replace the oil pump and O-ring. How many miles are on the car?
Old 07-22-2010, 03:12 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by bjamick
Sounds weird. Are you sure it's not piston slap on first start-up. I know my 5.3 truck "knocks" when I start it up and it take about 10 sec before it quits.

As for the oil pressure issue, I think you maybe just need to break down and replace the oil pump and O-ring. How many miles are on the car?
I have no idea what piston slap is. And second I dont hear the tapping on startup anymore.At least not like I did. Im more worried if I did damage to the engine when I had the knock going down the highway. And wth was knocking? I do swear I can still hear tapping while its idleing but its either so faint a sound or its just in my head (as in its actually something else entirely)

Yeah as for PSI, Im sure it needs a new oil pump. I can hear, what sounds like 'a sewing machine underwater' without pattern (as in not a bent push rod). I can only hear it under the car. So I am thinking the pump is about toast.

Quick Reply: ~~ 0 Oil PSI on startup | Tapping!!! ~~ Input Please