General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

A4 Torque Arm Bushing How To? (seen install univ)

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 03:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Question A4 Torque Arm Bushing How To? (seen install univ)

I read the how to on install university on replacing the torque arm bushing on the stock torque arm but I do not have acces to a lift or a pit as it suggests so that mean jack stands and ramps. That said, I am sure the gurus here know of a faster and easier way to swap out the worn out busing on a stock a4 torque arm to a new poly? Help a brother out.
Old 06-25-2010, 02:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends how high you can get the car. It is a pain in the *** to get that thing down if its not high up. But here is what I would do:

Get that bugger up on the stands as high as you can. Remove your Y pipe, and unbolt the driveshaft from the rear but don't pull it out of the transmission so it won't spill fluid all over. Either let it hang or find some method to hold it up, and take the torque arm off the rear end. Now, with the torque arm hanging down, put your floor jack under the transmission and let the trans crossmember down and then lower the jack so it sags all the way. Undo the torque arm mount and loosen it all the way, it will not come off with the torque arm in the bushing so get some WD40 and spray it in there and slide the arm out, then you can probably figure out how to finagle the clamshell out to remove the rivets and stock rubber, put your poly mount in there and grease the **** out of the torque arm and slide it back up there, tighten the clamshell back and reverse all the other steps. Once you get the trans back up with the torque arm hanging off you can use your floor jack under the back sway bar to tilt the axle forward and put the torque arm back on. You could do all this in like, 2 hours maybe. I can't think of another way to do it since the dumb *** A4 clamshell has a thru-bolt at the top not a short bolt like the M6.