General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Cross between rattle and grinding sound coming from rear. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 10:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cross between rattle and grinding sound coming from rear. Help!

K its driving me nuts. I bought the car about 2 months ago. My first ls1 too. car is a 6spd, has 114,XXX miles. On a hard launch theres a clunk from the rear like somethings hitting, rear suspensions seems to be tight and nothings missing. When driving normal at cruising speed the car makes a squeeking a sound that goes with the un-eveness of the road sounds like its riding on squeeky rubber mounts. Seems to come from the rear too. Whats got me crazy is a grinding/rattling noise and sometimes a squeek at the end of it coming from the rear of the car under hard acceleration and under aggressive turns from a stop. Sounds like the cars chassis/body is rattling/rubbing somewhere. Its like a hard loud rattling that can be felt through the car. Cars got a stock rear with 4.10's could the rattling be coming from the rear? Rear does whine when cruising, is the rear toast? Anything I should look for that may help me better indentify the problem. To me it feels like my rear is loose when it happens but still in the process of learning so idk. Thanks!
Old 06-24-2010, 01:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your gunna need a new top end. Haha sorry man dunno but i can bump your thread for ya and give you a first reply at least!

Thought it sounded like my problem but mine is more of a whining sound. Prob rear end..
Old 06-24-2010, 05:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

check the bushings to see if their dry roted or reamed.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the lowest ratio gm offered on these cars was 3.73, so the rear is not stock. your noise could be the sway bar bushing's along with the end links. you may have other bushing and mount issue's, your really going to have to go under the car to examine them.

Quick Reply: Cross between rattle and grinding sound coming from rear. Help!