General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

i need some help with a vacuum leak

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 07:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i need some help with a vacuum leak

hi guys, i have an AC problem where the AC blows on the feet when my car is under load. i was told it's a vacuum problem. i went to the check valve (under hood by pcm) and found the leak is in the line that runs to the mode selector in the dashboard under the radio. there is also a disconnect on that line just under the glove box. when i tested here, i found the vacuum leak is in the 2 foot line that runs from the mode selector to the connector (instead of the connector to the engine bay through the firewall).

the problem is i don't know where the leak is and i cannot figure out how to get this vacuum line free. i can't remove the mode selector piece under the radio because the hot/cold line that connects to it is a tight fit and won't let me move the plastic piece that the mode selector sits in much. also if you pull that line, the connector is so big you can't pull it through to the radio area. i know this probably sounds confusing, but if you have been in this part of the car before you probably know what i'm talking about.

since i didn't know what else to do, i wrapped the whole line in electrical tape as best as i could. now the problem is BETTER, but still there. and when i say better, used to the foot/face option on the mode selector only blew out of the defroster, but now it blows on the feet at least. so i think the electrical tape helped, but didn't solve the problem.

if i just knew how to get that vacuum line out and access it, i could wrap it or buy another and just install it. does anyone know how to do this? also, does anyone know the part number for that 2 foot vacuum line i am talking about? thanks for the help.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

anyone?
Old 06-30-2010, 03:34 AM
Teching In

most often the leak is the check valve is bad. but if your sure your leak is in the line you can get vacumn hose from the part store it doesent have to be the black hard line. you can use rubber hose. you may have to get adaptors to go from one size to the other. check with the parts store for the right size they got all kind of sizes.i would replace the check valve also. also check your tank for leak down under right ft fender/area. it will have the black line going to it. it just a resevior. sorry about spelling.i have seen the control head vacumn switch do the same thing.
Old 07-01-2010, 06:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks. i already replaced the check valve and that did no good. it definitely is the line between the mode selector and the connection beneath the glove box. the problem is, how the hell do you disconnect those vacuum lines from both the connector under the glove box and the mode selector?? anyone? any help is very appreciated! surely i am not the only person that ever had/has this problem??
Old 07-01-2010, 06:24 PM
TECH Addict

split them, and then peel them off the tit they're stuck on.