General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Non LS Cooling flush ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 07:51 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Non LS Cooling flush ?

Ok, so it's still GM. Figure someone might know, maybe they have one of these trucks to tow their rig. Gotta 03 Chevy Avalanche 2500 with the 8100 Big Block. Anyone know a trick way to flush entire system like the F body way of taking out thermostat and throwing hose in radiator with plug pulled on petcock and letting run for 20 min? Greatly appreciated everyone.
Thanks
Old 07-03-2010, 12:26 PM
TECH Addict

Get a Prestone flushing kit (has fittings, etc, chemical is separate) from AZ, O'Reilly and so on.
Old 07-03-2010, 04:37 PM
TECH Resident

K thanks. Actually I found a way on a forums search if anyone was interested.

"On flushing, after you drain it, put the lower hose back on, take the thermostat out of the neck and bolt the neck back on. Then, disconnect your upper hose and flush into the radiator. It will exit from the upper hose. I usually flush for about 10 min, add some descaler, let her sit for 10, and then flush for 10 more min. I repeat this a couple of times. I've found this to be sufficient for a long lasting cooling system. Something else to remember is that it will take several trips to get your coolant level back to normal, even if you fill back up with the heater on full blast. Just check the reservoir after every trip for a while and add as needed."