General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Coolant Leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 02:11 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant Leak

So I was on my way home tonight, and about halfway home I started smelling coolant. When I got home, temp was up to 210. I checked under the car, and found the leak, but I can't see where its coming from. Its not the water pump, cause I checked that. It seems to be leaking from somewhere near the harmonic balancer. Anyone have any idea what could be leaking down there?
Old 07-04-2010, 02:17 AM
11 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The only other things I can think of right now would be the crossover tube gaskets or supply hose,heater hoses on the water pump side,or a headgasket leaking. did you happen to check the weephole on the waterpump?
Old 07-04-2010, 11:13 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Time to put it on ramps, start it up, and wait it out till you see where its coming from. And make sure you get it all the way up to operating temp. THEN, if you don't see a leak, shut it down and wait again, because the temp rises and the pressure rises for about 15-20 minutes after shutdown, maybe it'll leak then. But its probably your water pump thats leaking, or a water pump gasket. I know you said it didn't look like the pump, but when you have coolant anywhere under the water pump 9 times out of 10, its the weep hole.

Old 07-05-2010, 01:26 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, I did another check tonight after work poured some more coolant in there. The weep hole is clean, but its definitely coming from the pump. It started leaking as soon an I poured it in there. Felt around, and I think its coming from the thermostat.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:48 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by srleadguitar
well, I did another check tonight after work poured some more coolant in there. The weep hole is clean, but its definitely coming from the pump. It started leaking as soon an I poured it in there. Felt around, and I think its coming from the thermostat.
Well then, check the t-stat housing o-ring first, make sure the surfaces are perfectly smooth and clean. If thats not it....you probably have a leaking water pump gasket. Get them from the dealership if you need new ones. DO NOT use gasket sealer, just use the gaskets.