General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Repair Head Gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 01:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Repair Head Gasket?

Hey guys, sorry if this should technically be on another site, but I've always gotten so much good knowledgeable info from the members here about issues with my TA that hopefully someone can answer a someone general one about my 2005 Toyota Corolla, 105K miles

It's my gf's car that she's had since Sept. last year when we started dating. From that point it had been always burning SUPER fast through oil (like a quart every 300 miles) but it did not have any visible oil leaks, so we assumed it was burning it, just kept topping it off. Then we noticed that it was blowing white smoke out the exhaust pipe on startup after sitting for any pd. of time. A mechanic told us might have bad valve seals or something like that, but I was curious because I thought oil leaks produced blue smoke. Car was still running fine at this point.

After about a month of that, we were driving on the interstate and the check eng. light came on flashing. Code keeps reading: cylinder 1 misfire. It has new plugs, coil on plug setup. We limped it home, and took it to a repair shop where I did a compression check on the cylinders and all had over 100 psi but cyl. 1 was dead with 0 compression. Tech said it was prob. a head gasket. Checked oil and it didn't seam like it was abnormally colored from coolant or anything. Coil packs are firing/plugs are new.

My questions: Do you think it is actually the head gasket? or that and a combo of something else, or something else entirely? Honestly, we're looking to just get rid of it and may trade it in b/c no one wants to buy it in the shape its running now even though everything else is perfect. If it's a head gasket only we might try and band-aid it just long enough to get rid of it with Blue Devil HG sealant or something. I just dont want to spend hours tearing it apart and several hundred having a machine shop inspect it if there's a good possibility the motor is done for.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
Old 07-04-2010, 01:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Its really not a big deal if you can do the work yourself. The average stock headgasket is as cheap as $10. If you suspect a head problem, take the head off and take it to the machine shop and have them check the valve seats and check it for cracks. Usually this inspection is in the $25 range. If its messed up you could buy a used head for relatively cheap. Either way put a good head back on it with a new head gasket and you should be good to go. You can install new valve seals on whatever head you install and you have killed 3 birds with one stone without spending a fortune and the pride of knowing you didnt pawn the problem off on some poor unsuspecting bastard.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:26 AM
Staging Lane

bump...
Old 07-05-2010, 11:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly, if it was burning a quart of oil every 300 miles I would go ahead and put new piston rings in it as well and check the cylinders to make sure they aren't egg shaped. Like 01ssreda4 said, it really isn't too bad a job if you can do it yourself or if someone you know can do it. I doubt you would get 0 compression for just a bad head gasket though. You probably have an issue with the valves on that cylinder too. What size engine is in the Corolla?

I know Civics had an issue with their valves burning up believe it or not. I bought a 97' with misfires (but not bad enough to actually feel them) and assumed it just needed a tune up. Well, come to find out the valves were burnt so I just got a used head for $75 and I was back in business.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:08 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by lt1pwr1
Honestly, if it was burning a quart of oil every 300 miles I would go ahead and put new piston rings in it as well and check the cylinders to make sure they aren't egg shaped. Like 01ssreda4 said, it really isn't too bad a job if you can do it yourself or if someone you know can do it. I doubt you would get 0 compression for just a bad head gasket though. You probably have an issue with the valves on that cylinder too. What size engine is in the Corolla?

I know Civics had an issue with their valves burning up believe it or not. I bought a 97' with misfires (but not bad enough to actually feel them) and assumed it just needed a tune up. Well, come to find out the valves were burnt so I just got a used head for $75 and I was back in business.
Well I've searched around and apparently the 1zz-fe 1.8L engine in these cars and several others frequently has issues with burning major amounts of oil due to I believe oil drain holes in the pistons being designed too small and clogging, causing a ton of carbon buildup. Probably what killed the valve(s) if indeed that's what it is.

How big/long of a job is a ring replacement on these cars or similar like a civic? Would I need a lift to get to the head or have to take the engine out of the car? Could anyone describe the basic process of taking off the head and putting in new rings? Thanks a lot...