General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Coolant/Water pump question on my 2001 Olds Aurora

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 11:34 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Coolant/Water pump question on my 2001 Olds Aurora

My 2001 3.5L V6 Aurora has developed a leak around the water pump this past week. I didn't realize it till the 'low coolant' light came on. It appears to be leaking around the lower part of the pump at a really good rate (large puddle after only a few minutes being parked and on)

I plugged my OBDII scanner up, and the coolant never gets above 200ish degrees. (don't remember the exact value).

I'm thinking it's just the gasket leaking and not the pump, but how can I CONFIRM this?

I've already replaced the water pump TWICE in the last 60,000 miles and it's a pain. I'm thinking of replacing just the gasket but a new ACDelco pump is only $63 from Rockauto.com.

I'm not sure where the coolant temp sensor is, but since the temp rises quickly according to my scanner, it makes me believe it's in the head somewhere.

Thus, if the temp never gets real high, it makes me believe the water is circulating vs. a bad pump would equal really high temps due to no circulation, correct?
Old 07-08-2010, 01:42 PM
TECH Resident

Bump it up for the lunch crowd
Old 07-08-2010, 06:57 PM
TECH Addict

Can you see any leakage out of the weep hole on the pump? If not, then it should be OK.

Quick Reply: Coolant/Water pump question on my 2001 Olds Aurora