General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Oil Consumption Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 09:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil Consumption Question

At what point does the amount of oil consumed by an LS1 turn into a cause for concern? My 2001 LS1 has just over 125k miles and I faithfully change the oil at 3k miles or 3 mo. intervals, whichever comes first. I know some will say that's changing often especially for using synthetic oils, but I like the piece of mind. At any rate, I would say generally 3 weeks, give or take, before the 3 mo. interval that usually comes first, the low oil light will come on and upon check the dipstick, oil will show about 1/4 to 1/8 on the dipstick. How much oil is this equivalent to? 1/2 qt? 1qt? And should I be concerned enough that I need to have something "fixed"?

Thanks,

Adam
Old 07-11-2010, 02:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The LS1 has a poorly designed PCV system that is known for using oil, GM tried to correct this with the LS6 by using a different valley with a pcv port in it. Most of this oil ends up in the intake, some have had luck with a catch can, some have not. I am not sure what you mean my 1/4 to 1/8. Usually the dipstick says full and low. that range in between is usually a quart. Make sure that when you change the oil you are running 5.5 qts. which is what is supposed to be in the engine. IF you are just putting 5 in there you are already low. The real thing to figure out is where the oil is going, it is either going into the intake like mentioned above or into the exhaust, (you would see it smoking). Personally I would pull the intake elbow and throttle body off and run my fingers in the intake and see how much oil is in there, it may be a ton. Then I would recommend getting a catch can, but I believe the LS1 should have one on it anyways, I know how much oil I had in my intake, it was crazy.
Old 07-11-2010, 02:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm sorry, I meant to say when checking the oil dipstick after the low oil lights comes on, there's usually only oil from 1/8 inch to 1/4 inch up the dipstick (well under the LOW indicator).

Is there anything I can to, other than pulling the TB off to get the oil out of there? You say some have had luck with a catch can. Is this something that, while it may not work perfectly, would help oil consumption to some degree? Is a catch can very difficult to install?
Old 07-11-2010, 03:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RARON455
The real thing to figure out is where the oil is going, it is either going into the intake like mentioned above or into the exhaust, (you would see it smoking).
???? LOL.. If it's going into the intake through the PCV, then it is being burned and going out the exhaust. It's not just going to magically "sit" in the intake. Some residual oil, sure. But there's no "figuring" where the oil is going. It's not "Where's Waldo."

Originally Posted by Adam2001WS6
Is there anything I can to, other than pulling the TB off to get the oil out of there? You say some have had luck with a catch can. Is this something that, while it may not work perfectly, would help oil consumption to some degree? Is a catch can very difficult to install?
You can do a valley cover swap from and LS1 style to an LS6 and/or add a catch can. This is if you think it's all going through the PCV and that route. A catch can will, however, just hold the oil in the can and not allow it to be burnt. It won't keep it from leaving circulation in your motor, so you'll still be lower on oil.

How do you drive the car? Generally with these motors, the harder you ride them, the more oil they drink. I've only had my "Low Oil" light come on once, and it was around oil change time and I had been having some fun.

Another thing you have to look for is blow by. If you're not raping the hell out of it daily, and you're low light regularly comes on, you might want to do a leak down test and see where you're at. Do some searching around here on the installs mentioned above and whatever other info you think you may need. Most everything is out there already.
Old 07-11-2010, 04:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It's my DD and I definitely don't beat the hell out of it for this very reason. I'm not interested in simply holding the oil that's leaving the system if that's all the catch can will do. I am more interested in finding out where/why it's leaving and fix the problem at the source.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:38 PM
11 Second Club

i had a similiar problem for bout a year but i have aftermarket heads. all this time i thought my motor was not good since it would smoke and use up oil bout a quart every 200-500 miles of use depending how hard i would drive it. i took off my intake full of gunk and oil. so i decided to swap the valve seals to some felpro, which had viton before. Man was glad to see that all this time it was the valve seals not the piston rings. I don't know if your car smokes but if it does that's another thing you might want to check. Im also adding an oil catch can it be best too.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No smoke whatsoever.