General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car acting Retarded!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 09:47 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Car acting Retarded!

My 2000 Z28 is running horrible right now...rought idle when it comes to a stop or when the transmission downshifts to 1st gear, horrible gas milage, it literally went from 1/2 tank to between 1/4 and E in about 30 mins and my fuel guage moves around alot and isnt always accurate, i started up the car today and to start was wierd like i turned the key and it kinda caughed when it started up...also smells like fuel alot...

throwing alot of codes mostly all Air/EGR(Deleted them) and O2 sensor heater malfuntion and also threw a knock sensor code...it was running perfectly up until i got caught in a bad thunderstorm a month ago...Would bad o2 sensors or connectors be causing the problem?? i am not gettin any cylinder misfire codes and the cars still a beast on WOT...its just the idling and the gas problem. I have no idea of where to start looking for the problem. Car has o2 sensor extensions that do hang kinda low from the longtube headers i installed last winter and the rear o2's are simulators...if the connector got wet could it be whats causing this??
Old 07-12-2010, 09:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do check O2 sensor first, buy ac delco o2, check the plug and wire, mabe the wire is touch LT header and burn up, very common if you use short wire. take out the IAC and clean it up.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:12 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by killagt
I do check O2 sensor first, buy ac delco o2, check the plug and wire, mabe the wire is touch LT header and burn up, very common if you use short wire. take out the IAC and clean it up.
yea thats what i was thinking...and i bought that CNC maf cleaner to clean the IAC valve just havent had time...the plugs are MSD super conducter 8.5MM wires i believe and the plugs are NGK TR55's that i put in brand new last september...i already checked the plugs and wires they look ok...its either gonna be a o2 sensor, o2 sensor connector, or the idle air control valve. like i said it started acting funny after i drove through a sever rain storm. I appreciate the advice
Old 07-12-2010, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by camaro981289
yea thats what i was thinking...and i bought that CNC maf cleaner to clean the IAC valve just havent had time...the plugs are MSD super conducter 8.5MM wires i believe and the plugs are NGK TR55's that i put in brand new last september...i already checked the plugs and wires they look ok...its either gonna be a o2 sensor, o2 sensor connector, or the idle air control valve. like i said it started acting funny after i drove through a sever rain storm. I appreciate the advice
keep update
Old 07-14-2010, 11:21 AM
TECH Regular

I cleaned my IAC valve during my lunch break it took me 20 minutes(half the time i was looking for the damn torx T-20 adapter) and it looks like the idle problem is gone . I was so surprised how much gunk was ontop of the valve...there was about 1/2" of nasty grease caked up on top of the valve and came to a point. at first i thought thats how the valve was shaped but u rubbed the top and a huge chunk of grease fell off lol...soaked it up with CNC MAF cleaner and looks like it did the trick. Thanks for the advice GT i appreciate it.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by camaro981289
I cleaned my IAC valve during my lunch break it took me 20 minutes(half the time i was looking for the damn torx T-20 adapter) and it looks like the idle problem is gone . I was so surprised how much gunk was ontop of the valve...there was about 1/2" of nasty grease caked up on top of the valve and came to a point. at first i thought thats how the valve was shaped but u rubbed the top and a huge chunk of grease fell off lol...soaked it up with CNC MAF cleaner and looks like it did the trick. Thanks for the advice GT i appreciate it.
GRAT !! and you welcome hehe. im glad it work out for you.