General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

1999 Camaro SS sluggish, hesitates, WTF!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 07:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Camaro SS sluggish, hesitates, WTF!!!

Just bought my second ls1. SUPER clean SS m6 with 79k miles for 7500. The car has a hesitation around 2-3k rpm where it just feels like it hits a wall! I bought it almost positive it was plugs, wires, fuel filter, or a bad coil.

I changed the plugs, wires and fuel filter. STILL runs like crap. I had it hooked up to a scanner at a local shop and there was a "slight" misfire on cylinders 2, 5, 6, and 7. NO CODES ARE SHOWING.

The car does not smoke and sounds totally normal.

Also this only happens under a load. In neutral it revs fine.

The shop said could be a crankshaft sensor or camshaft sensor.

ANY help would be greatly appreciated. THANK YOU!!!!
Old 07-13-2010, 07:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

have you check the o2 sensor ?
Old 07-14-2010, 11:02 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

I fixed it. Mass Air Flow sensor just needed to be cleaned. Also cleaned intake. Runs like a champ.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by the_blue_rider84
I fixed it. Mass Air Flow sensor just needed to be cleaned. Also cleaned intake. Runs like a champ.
GRAT !! Might as well going some tune up to it. air filter, plug , wire, fuel filter, rear diff, tranny oil, clean out the idle air control, TB. Not nessary to replace those now cause you still on low miles, but its worth to check it first.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:36 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by the_blue_rider84
Wat did you clean the maf sensor with??
Old 07-14-2010, 11:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ls1jorge
Wat did you clean the maf sensor with??
I use this

you can get it at oreilly and advance auto part, and I think autozone sell it too. Spay both side of the MAF couple time, dont over spray it.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:58 AM
TECH Regular

Yea I'm having the same issue but last week I got a P0506, I cleaned maf & TB, (IAC), & code went away. SOMETIMES I have to pump the gas 3 times atleast wen cranking the car then I have to press the gas @ 1k to let it warm up then a minute later warms up & the rpm drops to .5rpm, the car has egr deleted, rear o2 deleted, 8 month old front o2 sensors ngk 55 plugs. & missing 1 rear driverside header bolt (exhaust leak) car sat for 5 months, have msd 8.5 wires but not installed yet, I'm going to work on that header bolt today quick fix. Can anyone else help me ideas???
Old 07-14-2010, 12:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea I'm having the same issue but last week I got a P0506, I cleaned maf & TB, (IAC), & code went away. SOMETIMES I have to pump the gas 3 times atleast wen cranking the car then I have to press the gas @ 1k to let it warm up then a minute later warms up & the rpm drops to .5rpm, the car has egr deleted, rear o2 deleted, 8 month old front o2 sensors ngk 55 plugs. & missing 1 rear driverside header bolt (exhaust leak) car sat for 5 months, have msd 8.5 wires but not installed yet, I'm going to work on that header bolt today quick fix. Can anyone else help me ideas???
Can you give me more info on about crank the car, first though in mine mind would be fuel pump. if you crank the car up and then shut it off, then crank it again, does it crank right away ? I need more info.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:12 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by killagt
Can you give me more info on about crank the car, first though in mine mind would be fuel pump. if you crank the car up and then shut it off, then crank it again, does it crank right away ? I need more info.
Yea it cranks after I shut it off but to turn it on again I gotta press the gas pedal several times again, after it starts it idles @ .5 it's got choppy sound
Mods are P&P tb, !egr, LT headers, 3inch y pipe, plugs ngk, car has 173k miles

Last edited by ls1jorge; 07-14-2010 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Miles
Old 07-14-2010, 01:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Have you check the fuel pressure by hook up a pressure gauge to the back of the fuel rail ? sound like you have a leak some where, or your fuel pump is on it way out. but check the fuel pressure first, you can borrow the gauge from autozone.

or you can do now is pull the fuel rail with injector still attach on it, and prime the fuel pump, if you see any fuel coming out injector, you need replace that injector. Might as well get new set of oring for injector and make sure lube the new oring with light coat of engine oil before put back on the intake. but check the fuel pressure first, keep update here and tell us how it go.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:02 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by killagt
Have you check the fuel pressure by hook up a pressure gauge to the back of the fuel rail ? sound like you have a leak some where, or your fuel pump is on it way out. but check the fuel pressure first, you can borrow the gauge from autozone.

or you can do now is pull the fuel rail with injector still attach on it, and prime the fuel pump, if you see any fuel coming out injector, you need replace that injector. Might as well get new set of oring for injector and make sure lube the new oring with light coat of engine oil before put back on the intake. but check the fuel pressure first, keep update here and tell us how it go.
Ok I'll check it today gotta change fuel filter & put on wires.
Wats fuel pressure its suppost b @
Old 07-14-2010, 03:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok I'll check it today gotta change fuel filter & put on wires.
Wats fuel pressure its suppost b @
anything over 40 will do, and how long it take before it drop back down. if drop down fast, you have a leak.

Quick Reply: 1999 Camaro SS sluggish, hesitates, WTF!!!