General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

2002 TA rear end going out

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 11:46 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down 2002 TA rear end going out

It's making noise...******* pos. I don't know the history of the car as I just bought it under 3,000 miles ago, but my question is, are these rear ends worth repairing or is a new rear end needed? I don't want a recurring issue, but I also don't have the money to "upgrade" just to be upgrading. As far as I know the car is stock, but the rear is still going out. I'm rather easy on the car myself, and aside from maybe 3 or 4 0-60 type runs it has been babied by me. Thanks for the advice!
Old 07-14-2010, 11:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well it is a used car and you don't know how the previous owner drove it and these rear ends are known to go out under stock HP. So If you can get a 12 bolt or 9in and trust me there is no reason at all to rebuild a 10 bolt might as well burn the money you are going to use to rebuild it, if you decide to rebuild it.Check out the classifieds and the sponsers.........
Old 07-14-2010, 11:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yub 10 bolt in these car suck, STOCK ls1 with M6 break 10 bolt.
if 10 bolt gone, dont go back. Not worth to break it again. go with 9 or 12. and dont look back at 10 bolt.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:55 AM
Staging Lane

How much will a new rear run installed?
Old 07-14-2010, 08:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

all fbody rears make noise..it might just be the normal annoying noises these cars make..or have you had it checked out and it is def going down the *******
Old 07-14-2010, 09:20 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JerseyLS1TA
all fbody rears make noise..it might just be the normal annoying noises these cars make..or have you had it checked out and it is def going down the *******
Mechanic told me it was going out today...and I don't know why you're laughing because you're probably next!
Old 07-14-2010, 09:42 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Your mechanic may or may not be right. Has he taken the rear cover off and done an inspection? If so, what was found?

If the R&P are good but the carrier is shot you will be able to get by with an Auburn carrier if you don't beat hard on the car - especially if it's an A4.

JerseyLS1 is right; these rear ends can be very noisy and still go thousands of miles. Your mechanic may have heard the noise and jumped to the conclusion it was bad.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:46 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RevGTO
Your mechanic may or may not be right. Has he taken the rear cover off and done an inspection? If so, what was found?

If the R&P are good but the carrier is shot you will be able to get by with an Auburn carrier if you don't beat hard on the car - especially if it's an A4.

JerseyLS1 is right; these rear ends can be very noisy and still go thousands of miles. Your mechanic may have heard the noise and jumped to the conclusion it was bad.
It was actually at a brake shop, Midas. He said he was able to tell just by spinning the rear wheels up on the lift. I have a M6. I really like the car, but all these issues have me wondering if I can dump it off on Carmax with a little luck.