General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Flashing SES light - no codes

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 05:25 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Flashing SES light - no codes

Sup guys.

I searched my butt off, and have been troubleshooting with what has been said in other threads. I can't find a situation which is exactly like mine...

Have a 99 firehawk. I am getting slight hesitation and flashing SES light when I drive above 2k rpm. The car is driveable, and isn't seriously bucking or anything. The light will stop flashing when I slow down to about 10mph. Its wierd because I can be going down hill, throw the car into neutral where the rpm will drop to ~500, and the light will keep flashing. I took it in to a shop, and they checked with a code reader, but its not storing any codes.

The car has a P-1SC with a stock pulley. I had a blown diaphram in the bypass valve for about the last year and a half. I replaced the valve about a month ago which fixed the boost problem. I would possibly blame the valve, but the car would hesitate intermitantly about a month before that. The car just has the larger injectors and TR6 plugs as part of the SC kits. No other internal engine work has been done.

I have cleaned the MAF with MAF cleaner, cleaned the TB. Plugs/wires were changed a year ago. However, I am pulling them all off to check. I did the drivers side last week, and am going out to check the more fun passenger side right now. I had a small exhaust leak after the cat which I fixed. Then aside from me finding anything with the plugs/wires, people have mentioned injectors or coil packs.

Has anyone seen or heard of a flashing SES light, but no codes?
Old 07-19-2010, 08:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check fuel pressure, might be the pump or a clogged filter.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:19 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So let me understand you have used a scanner to see if there are codes, what scanner was used?

I myself use a older Predetor hand held scanner and ALL PCM's regardless if to throws a SES will show when there is a DTC tripped.

Reason why I mention is that a Flashing SES light signifies MISFIRE.

Could be due to a number of thinks, a fuel issue, or a spark issue. CHeck plug wires and actual plugs are important.

BUT the thing is that you need to run the car hard and immediately shut down in a safe place and start pulling, do not allow plugs to idle and get coated, wires should physically be checked and FP tested with a guage and a load on the car.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like it could be a false mis-fire issue. Check out this article and have the dealer or a garage with a scan tool run the re-learn procedure:

http://www.seattleautomotive.com/ckpdoc.htm

I had to do this when the new engine was installed years ago.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine did that when I had a cylinder go out, just flashed the SES, but no codes. One of the wires somehow got loose and gave me some hesitation when I was driving.