Go Back   LS1TECH > CHASSIS, SUSPENSION, APPEARANCE > General Maintenance & Repairs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

General Maintenance & Repairs
Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds
Sponsored by
Gearstar Performance Transmissions

Welcome to LS1Tech.com!
Welcome to LS1Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join LS1Tech.com today!

Old 07-20-2010, 11:31 AM   #1
Launching!
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 0
Default Squeaking noise coming from somwhere in suspension....lowering springs making noise?

I have a squeaking noise coming from somewhere in my suspension. The car is a 1995 Z28 with 172,000 miles. I just greased the front and rear sway bar bushings, that did not fix it. I believe the car has the original shocks on it from when I bought it with 89,000 miles on it. I have Eibach springs on it (the 1-1/4 drop, Prokit i think) which were installed at 100,000 miles or about 9 years ago. When the springs were installed, I also had new struts put in. The noise it makes is louder in the morning or when the car is cooled off. It will make the noise just rolling through a parking lot with a few bumps in it. Does anyone know if the springs in the rear can make noise in the spring cups? Sometimes it sounds like it is coming from the rear, then other times it seems like the front. Besides the sway bar bushings, is there anywhere else I can lube? Ball joints going bad or a wheel bearing? Thanks for any help.
1SWT95Z- A4-355ci, UMI Black LCAs, 180cc runner stock ported heads w/stock LS6 valves, 218/224 .570 lift Comp cam, Pacesetter midlength headers, Borlamouth catback w/ no cat(SLP LM2 bullet in place of cat),32# injectors, 52mm Edelbrock TB, etc.. 336rwhp/325lbs/ft tq.
1SWT95Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 01:07 PM   #2
TECH Fanatic
Garage is empty, add now

Look at your control arm bushings.
fleetmgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 02:04 PM   #3
Launching!
Garage is empty, add now

What should they look like? Are they black rubber or a yellowish plastic?
1SWT95Z- A4-355ci, UMI Black LCAs, 180cc runner stock ported heads w/stock LS6 valves, 218/224 .570 lift Comp cam, Pacesetter midlength headers, Borlamouth catback w/ no cat(SLP LM2 bullet in place of cat),32# injectors, 52mm Edelbrock TB, etc.. 336rwhp/325lbs/ft tq.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:44 PM   #4
Launching!
Garage is empty, add now

Well I can def. tell the noise is coming from the passenger side rear. I opened the hatch and pushed down on the rear of the car and heard a squeaking when the car was moving up and down. Now I'm not sure if it is the shocks or just a bad bushing or can the springs squeak and make noise in the spring "cup"? The car does bounce up and down about 3-4 times when I push down on the rear. I would think this indicates the shocks are worn out. What shocks do you guys recommend? Are Monroe and KYB pretty good brands for the money?
Old 07-22-2010, 12:56 PM   #5
Teching In
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 1

it could just be some water that hasn't dried up. happens to my car in the winter but after a few months of heat it goes away
sgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 02:30 AM   #6
Teching In
1998 Chevrolet Camaro

Interested to hear the solution to this.

My '98 Z makes a squeaking/creaking noise from the rear every time I go over bumps (as the car bounces a little). I also have lowering springs with Blistein shocks.

I haven't tried greasing up the sway bar or control arms though, must try that.

Sorry to hyjack this thread but, would the dry control arm bushings and/or sway bar cause a creaking noise from the front when turning the wheel?

Will post back any results I get to see if it helps your probs!
geo1400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 12:15 PM   #7
9 Second Club
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 21

Lower control arm bushings. Had the same problem, and just replaced the LCA's with BMR's. Never had a problem again.

Turns out my bushings were dry-rotted.

2009 Corvette Z06 3LZ: 600rwhp 542rwtq -Weekend/track Car
2000 Trans Am WS6 A4: 440rwhp 408rwtq -Sold
1972 Corvette Stingray: 380rwhp 405rwtq -Classic Car
2007 Mazda 3 M5: -Daily Driver
Slash8915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 12:15 PM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird

Paid Advertisement

Tags
car, lots, lowering, make, making, noise, parking, rear, shocks, springs, sqeaking, sqeeking, squeak, squeaking, squeaks, suspension