General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

evaporator core leaking

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 02:00 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default evaporator core leaking

I have a 98 T/A that is leaking from the evaporator core inside the car. Shouldn't be the heater core the liquid is cool, colerless/odorless. Plus I can drive the car around without the A/C on and it doesn't leak and it has not rained.

I have the carpet pulled up on the passenger side and if you run the A/C it most definatly is leaking from the gasket between the evaporator core and the firewall, bad enough to put about a cup or water in the floor in a short time.

But now the tricky part...I have searched and the only thing I can find that could be wrong is clogged drain. Which it does not appear to be as I have gently stuck a screwdriver an inch or two and blown it out with compressed air and neither times did any water or debris come out.

So my question is could the core be cracked/broken and leaking into the car before the water gets to the drain? Could the gasket between the core/firewall be bad? Other than that my only guess is there is some debris further away from the drain that the screwdriver/air can't dislodge and I will have to take it apart to inspect/clean it.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cool, odorless, colorless - has to be condensate water - the drain must be clogged. Was the car level when you tried to clear it? Blow it from the inside to outside from inside the box?
Old 07-21-2010, 03:25 PM
12 Second Club

I was thinking drain clooged too but it didn't appear to be. The car wasn't completley level, it had the front on jackstands but not very high. I put the compressed air from outside the box, from underneath the car. Unless there is something further back away from the actual drain there seems to be nothing clogging it.

How can I blow from INSIDE the box? Do I have to remove the blower motor, heater core or anything to do that?
Old 07-21-2010, 03:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've seen posts before where they probed from the outside with a small wire and lots of water came out, but car was on a lift. Maybe the box is full of leaves - seen that too. Easy to pull the blower motor, disconnect the power connection, remove 3 screws and the motor/blower pulls out as a unit. Won't hurt to take a look inside, surely the drain would be visible.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:50 PM
TECH Addict

Twist a curlycue into the end of a coat hanger, and run it up the hose from the bottom.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:34 PM
12 Second Club

Definatly no hose, just a drain hole in the bottom of the evaporator core on passenger side near firewall/catylitic converter. But there is not anything blocking it that a screwdriver or coathanger with a 90 bend in it can get out.

I have it level on jackstands now and have tried again to clear the drain with the hanger/screwdriver and nothing comes out. I have the blower motor out and everything else on the inside but the heater core. I can only get my hand in so far from the blower motor side and can feel some leaves/debris next to the evaporator but can't get my hand in good enough to clean it out. Guess I'll have to take the heater core out next to get to the inside of the core to clean/inspect it.

Where it is leaking the gasket is definatly deformed between the evaporator core and the firewall and you can almost get your finger in between it.
Old 07-25-2010, 04:06 PM
11 Second Club

If you could put up a pic of the drain underneath the car that would be awesome. I'm trying to figure out where I'm clogged as well. I have longtubes so I can barely get my friggin hand close to that area of the car.
Old 07-25-2010, 04:38 PM
11 Second Club

Found this and it's the same for 98-02

Quick Reply: evaporator core leaking