General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Antenna stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 11:11 PM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Antenna stopped working

I just got my Trans Am back today and I noticed the antenna wasn't going up and down like it used to its just up all the time. It still makes the usual noises like its working when you turn the key on and off with the radio on its just stuck up. I can move it up and down slightly but it won't go down with a little bit of pressure. I sprayed WD 40 on it to try to get it to move and still won't go down. Have you guys got any ideas?
Thanks
Old 07-25-2010, 08:42 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

This is a common thing. More details if you search.

1st problem - throw away the WD40 and never use it on a lubricated part of your car again. The only thing its good for is loosening rusted bolts. It will dissolve the good greases and oils that you need on your equipment and will wash off with water - making things worse for you after a short period of time.

2nd problem - The antenna paint peels off and gums up the mast. Take a rag soaked with mineral spirits (you have to use 100% and the real stuff - not paint thinner!) and wipe down the mast. Then operate the mast and keep repeating until the gummed up paint is out and it works properly. If this doesn't work, you can get a replacement mast from GM.
Old 07-25-2010, 12:12 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Replace the motor. It's relatively cheap. After the 2nd time my antenna motor broke, I just left it. I think my car looks better without a 4 foot antenna sticking out of it anyways, lol.

Quick Reply: Antenna stopped working