General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Replaced power steering pump, now terrible steering

Old 07-30-2010, 10:47 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced power steering pump, now terrible steering

My pressure hose burst the other day and since the fluid got low and I could hear the pump whining I thought I should go ahead and replace the pump along with the hose. I bought both from Autozone. Finished last night, used new orings, put the car in the air so I could turn the wheels freely to try and bleed it, made sure it's full of fluid. First thing I notice when I'm backing up, when turning left I feel it shudder through the steering wheel. I figure it's got air in it, so I drive it some...I can feel every little bump now through the steering wheel and it's totally different. The shuddering turning left didn't go away. When sitting at idle turn lock to lock it feels normal. Surely, the rack isn't going out now. Think the pump isn't as strong as the original?

When I first filled everything up and raised the car, I didn't start it, just turned the key on and turned the wheel lock to lock a few times with the cap off the resevoir, then started it. Think that could have done anything to the rack? I'm thinking about putting th old pump back on today or trying to find an AC Delco new pump.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Close to the same thing happened to me...line started leaking, I replaced the line and the pump, and afterwards the steering was a lot heavier (think farm truck manual steering) and I get the same feedback through the steering wheel that you're talking about - hit a bump in the road it it sort of feels like a jiggle in the steering. I got the Atsco unit from Auto Zone...probably what I shouldn't have done.

A few places I priced a brand-new AC Delco pump out were between $350 and $400. Turn One makes an aftermarket pump for around $300. Alternately, take a look here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...-new-post.html

I'm getting ready to ship my PS pump out to them to have it fixed up. Once it comes back in and I have a chance to install it in the car, I'll post up how it feels.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:29 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the link, that helps...looking at their bleed procedure, looks like that answered my question on turning it first without starting.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:11 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Element
Close to the same thing happened to me...line started leaking, I replaced the line and the pump, and afterwards the steering was a lot heavier (think farm truck manual steering) and I get the same feedback through the steering wheel that you're talking about - hit a bump in the road it it sort of feels like a jiggle in the steering. I got the Atsco unit from Auto Zone...probably what I shouldn't have done.

A few places I priced a brand-new AC Delco pump out were between $350 and $400. Turn One makes an aftermarket pump for around $300. Alternately, take a look here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...-new-post.html

I'm getting ready to ship my PS pump out to them to have it fixed up. Once it comes back in and I have a chance to install it in the car, I'll post up how it feels.
Any updates?? I am trying to decide between a new Turn One or the PSC route.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JR HAWK 9
Any updates?? I am trying to decide between a new Turn One or the PSC route.
Taking the pump off the car this week to send in...work sort of jumped in the way of getting stuff to the car done. Should have it shipped out by Thursday or Friday, so with a 1-2 day turnaround and shipping, probably have a review of it next weekend.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:24 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by steve65
My pressure hose burst the other day and since the fluid got low and I could hear the pump whining I thought I should go ahead and replace the pump along with the hose. I bought both from Autozone. Finished last night, used new orings, put the car in the air so I could turn the wheels freely to try and bleed it, made sure it's full of fluid. First thing I notice when I'm backing up, when turning left I feel it shudder through the steering wheel. I figure it's got air in it, so I drive it some...I can feel every little bump now through the steering wheel and it's totally different. The shuddering turning left didn't go away. When sitting at idle turn lock to lock it feels normal. Surely, the rack isn't going out now. Think the pump isn't as strong as the original?

When I first filled everything up and raised the car, I didn't start it, just turned the key on and turned the wheel lock to lock a few times with the cap off the resevoir, then started it. Think that could have done anything to the rack? I'm thinking about putting th old pump back on today or trying to find an AC Delco new pump.
It sounds like air to me, but, if the original wasnt leaking I would just put it back on or go with the Turn One pump. I was a tech and a shop mgr for many years up till 2010, I saw the quality of parts, especially rebuilt parts go further and further down hill as far as quality over the years now I dont trust anything off the shelf from a parts store. Best parts are dealership and custom/aftermarket american built stuff, I.E. Turn One stuff.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:40 AM
Teching In

i went through 5 remans in a year. get performance or dealership stuff. autozone is junk.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replaced power steering pump, now terrible steering