General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

one problem into another...

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 10:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default one problem into another...

hey everyone. ive been having some problems with my car. i own a 96 z28 LT1 6 speed.

first problem started about a week ago. i was going to a friends house when my car just died on me while i was driving. i pulled over, started my car with no trouble, then went on my way. about 1/2 a mile down the road, i died on me again. i tried to start it up, but it was having trouble. i waited about 2-3 minutes, then it started back up went to his house with no problems and i had no problems coming back home either. but this problem has been occurring for the past week off and on. sometimes while im going to work, i have no problems. and other times it'll die on me two to three times.

i then searched this problem on the internet. a lot of what i read was pointing to the crankshaft position sensor. i bought one and put it in today. the one i took off was broken (plastic casing and sensor plug were being held together by zip ties).

i started my car with no problem, but it now was idling lower than usual (i have a cam and usually idles around 800-900 rpms). it was idling around 400-600 rpms and had the feeling like it wanted to die on me. i drove it around the neighborhood and it felt like it was driving fine. then as soon as i get to a stop sign or red light, it'll die. i start it up and it will idle fine (800-900 rpms) like nothing ever happened. when i start driving it'll be fine, until i come to a stop sign/light, it will start to idle low (400-600 rpms) then die.

idk if another sensor is going bad, or fuel pump is weak, or whether its something else. any ideas, comments, or past experiences would be greatly appreciated.