My Strange Alternator problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 10:23 AM
ZEX
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Strange Alternator problem

hi,

i have a problem with my camaro charging, i started the car normally before a couple of days, the "Check Gauges" light was on and the voltage started dropping from 13 till almost nothing and the car stalled

i charged the battery , rolled a little bit , again , died

so , i removed the alternator , and i'm confused now , coz the connections on it are only two (one ground and the other gets a tiny wire i donno from where :p probably from the charging signal)

the pix will show it all :

the wire A is a 4 pin connector but i have only wire coming out of it !! is this normal ?

the Wire B i think is a grounding (earth) and it bolts through a terminal.

my question is , what is wire X in the dark picture , i have this connector just sitting down there not connected to anything, and there's no place on the alternator to clip/install it on .

Attached Thumbnails My Strange Alternator problem-_dsc4774.jpg   My Strange Alternator problem-_dsc4783.jpg  
Old 08-03-2010, 01:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

There is only one wire on that alternator plug...that is normal. Wire B is NOT a ground. That's terminal connects the alternator to the battery to charge the battery. If you use a multimeter put one lead on that terminal and the other on ground in dc volts and you should be reading battery voltage.

That other plug Im not sure about. it must only reach so far so carefully look at how its naturally shaped and move it around until you find where it goes. I will have to peak at my car and see if I can find it.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had to look ^^ that other connector looks to be your forward driver side O2 sensor plug. Your car either runs like crap, you have the headers out or you accidentally unplugged it while playing with the alternator. Either way make sure you plug it back up.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:19 PM
ZEX
Teching In

Originally Posted by BOA279
There is only one wire on that alternator plug...that is normal. Wire B is NOT a ground. That's terminal connects the alternator to the battery to charge the battery. If you use a multimeter put one lead on that terminal and the other on ground in dc volts and you should be reading battery voltage.

That other plug Im not sure about. it must only reach so far so carefully look at how its naturally shaped and move it around until you find where it goes. I will have to peak at my car and see if I can find it.
aha so the wiring is ok

Originally Posted by BOA279
I had to look ^^ that other connector looks to be your forward driver side O2 sensor plug. Your car either runs like crap, you have the headers out or you accidentally unplugged it while playing with the alternator. Either way make sure you plug it back up.

coz i have aftermarket headers that don't have plugs to install sensors on them, the check engine is always on , but the car runs very smooth with no problem and i raced a lot in it and passed a lot of bolt on camaros , so it doesn't run like crap , but i'll dyno it soon to make sure AFR is fine

i need to turn it on first

i'm gonna test the alternator in the morning and see if it's running ok or not , if it's ok then i have to check again and find the problem.

Thanks a lot for the help i'll update the thread tmrw

Quick Reply: My Strange Alternator problem