General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Stranded out of town...

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 07:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Stranded out of town...

Fellas i need help diagnosing my ride quick. I'm on military leave and have very little time. I attempted to start my car and it won't even turn over. The battery doesnt appear to be the problem because i have full power to all of my accesories. When I tried moving it to neutral and making sure it was in park and still nothing. I checked my battery cables and they were tight with no corrosion. I even tried my spare key thinking it could be the pass key security deterent or a defective pass key. When i turn the ignition i get the audible chimes and dash lights, but it won make a sound when i try to start her up. Any help and any mechanincs in the area would be great. All i see are dealerships, and we know what they will charge me! The only thing i can think of is the heat from my longtubes could have possibly killed my starter? Thanks again!
Old 08-04-2010, 07:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Try jumping it first - you can have power to accessories, but not enough to crank the starter over. If that doesn't work, take a hammer and whack (not hard, but don't limp-wrist it) on the starter a bit. If that doesn't do anything, if you have a multimeter, see if you're getting power to the starter. If you are, there's a good chance that's what it is.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even with a weak battery it should click or chatter the starter, so doubt it's that. Starter or possibly VATS. The SECURITY light coming on when trying to start?
Old 08-04-2010, 07:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JeaneGrae
Any help and any mechanincs in the area would be great.
Post up where you are at, it's not in your profile.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm stuck in Wilmington, NC. Car is located on South College Road. I can't get to the starter because of the parking lot, parked beside one of the cement blocks in between cars. The security is flashing when i give the key a full turn. Could this be it? Car has 149,XXX with original starter.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:57 PM
Banned

Try swapping the starter relay under the hood with another relay.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do your gauges (fuel level, etc) work with ignition on?

If no, a blown 10A "guages" fuse in side of dash will prevent car from starting without a click.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default .......

All guages are working properly. I will have to get an early start in the morning at about 6 am. I have about a mile walk to get to my ride. I will try swapping the relay and see if that works. I
Old 08-04-2010, 09:11 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hope you get it working, but as for the leave issue, call your NCO or Commander right now. Let them know the situation, that way they may increase your leave a few days, and you wont get in trouble with them.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Does anyone know how much a starter would cost from a gm dealership? About how much labor would it be?
Old 08-04-2010, 09:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JeaneGrae
The security is flashing when i give the key a full turn. Could this be it?
Yes it could.

Try cleaning the pellet in your key to see if it helps the BCM read the value. If not, try the Vats bypass. Cliffs: you disconnect a connector @ steering column and solder in a resistance equal to the resistance value of your key's pellet. You probably can't do it, but an alarm install shop can, they do it all the time.

Do a search on here for - flashing security - or - vats bypass - and you will get lots of hits in gen maint and pcm diagnostics sections, like this:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagn...-flashing.html