General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car doesn't want to start

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 05:19 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Car doesn't want to start

My car will almost never start on the first try, it's a 98 LS1 automatic. Usually on the first or 2nd try it will start up, but will chug for a couple of seconds and then rev up past 2k rpm. Also, I sometimes notice a burning smell after it get's through it's "lugging" stage around 5-600rpm.

Any suggestions? I don't know a ton about cars, and haven't had a chance to make it to a mechanic.

Thank you for any advice
Old 08-09-2010, 08:20 PM
Launching!

Also, I noticed today that if I prime the fuel pump 3 times before starting, it starts normally. I think that's important information?
Old 08-09-2010, 09:05 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Well you could have a clogged fuel filter, those things are about $12.00 and take 5 minutes to replace. Could also be a dirty MAF, a can of MAF cleaner is about $7.00 and takes a few minutes to clean the MAF. Just take off the lid and bellows....leave the MAF on there and spray the entire screen and mainly the little sensor wires behind the screen. Let it dry for 15 minutes and go for a drive. Might be that simple.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:54 PM
Staging Lane

Another thing to check if new filter doesn't fix it, is might be a fuel pump going bad. Had a loss of power, and replacing the pump fixed it.
Try to drain the fuel tank as much as possible before dropping it or it will be a nasty handful. Also pay close attention to the lines on the pump housing before fully dropped. Removing filler neck and vent were not necessary, just take it loose at body.