General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

pwr window regulator replacement qestion

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 01:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default pwr window regulator replacement qestion

other day a shut my door with the window done and heard couple of parts rattle and fall to inside part of the door.. I suspected the motor fell off the door... but no.. of course it had to be something harder..

the nut that holds the spring to the mounting plate had sheared its way out to the regulator bracket and fell out... for hour or so . I have been tring to redneck this thing back together.. a new reg. and motor assembly from autozone is $ 125..

but I drilled a hole to see how to reattach that nut and it sheared a oblong hole into the mounting bracket for the pwr motor. the bracket that came with the motor is the short one that won't fix this ... I need to long bracket the motor bolts to..

if I buy the whole reg. and pwr assembly I guess it would fix all this and all I have to do is drill out the rivets on the outside panel..

I heard some say to use bolts others to use rivets????
Old 08-08-2010, 01:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

also.. it appears to have been replaced before as a whole assembly. there are washers behind the rivets holding the mounting plate to the door panel. they are just a little loose. I dont want them eating into the fiberglass door.. should I use bolts??
Old 08-09-2010, 09:02 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Some weird stuff here. Can you post pics? The washers shouldn't be there, the regulator shouldn't spontaneously explode, etc. Sounds like there were previous problems there and that you are suffering from someone else's short cuts. Can you tell if the rivet holes in the door panel have already started to tear?

If the door panel is in good condition, the choice in mounting materials is not so difficult. If you are going to get rid of the car soon, use bolts, super glue, whatever. If you want to keep the car for a long time, you should go with special rivets. The proper rivets are steel mandrel with an aluminum jacket. I've only seen them available from GM. They are a special design for the composite door. Steel rivets or bolts will eventually stress out the door panel and can cause cracking or tearing. The other catch is that you need a special oversize rivet gun for these rivets. (Because they are so large.)