General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

whinning sound, alternator?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 09:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default whinning sound, alternator?

i had been hearing a low pitched whinnig sound (like an extended owl sound sort of) for a couple of days. i thought it was related to my clutch/ throw out bearing or something. so i'm driving home thursday and i start to hear the sound at a higher pitch through my speakers then all os a sudden my dash lights go ape ****, the needles on my gauges are going up and down, car starts to stumble, i cant keep it going and it dies. no power left what so ever, not even enough to power my hazards. i end up having it towed home. i hadnt had time to mess with it till today. so i charge the battery and clean the little bit of corrosion off. it starts up right away, no whinning sound, gauge shows charging at 12 with a/c and lights on. i assume that this is a alternator problem thats intermident, what do you think?

Last edited by mondols1; 08-09-2010 at 11:54 PM.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exact same thing happened to me last week and it sounds like your alternators gone. Just go get it checked and if not throw up the cash for a new one.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:02 AM
On The Tree

yea, thats what i was thinking too. thanks
i was reading a thread about the 03' 4 pin truck alternator upgrade. its 145 amps vs the 105 that came on these cars. its supposed to bolt right on with only the front bolts that go all the way through. people have been buying these at junkyards cheap but advanced autoparts has a new delco gold for $150 w/a lifetime warranty, i might try that.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:58 AM
TECH Addict

as long as you heard it on your speakers its def. your alternator, but am not sure if its busted or what..good luck.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

you could always get it rewound to 150 amps at an electrical shop, might be cheaper then e new one
Old 08-13-2010, 12:10 AM
On The Tree

yea, i could hear the whine through the speakers for a little while right before everything shut down. i am out of town but when i get back to houston i will ck for some rebuilders to see what a rewind would cost vs a new truck alt.