General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

battery drains over couple day period of time

Old 08-24-2010, 10:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question battery drains over couple day period of time

ive replaced the battery and keeps draining. ive noticed with the car off i can still here a humming noice comeing from under the hood. anybody have any ideas what the problem is?
Old 08-25-2010, 10:22 AM
Launching!

Take it to an Interstate Battery distributor and request that they hook up the ED18 to it, its a free service they offer and they can find the draw.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:47 PM
TECH Resident

get a multimeter and a friend, disconnect the positive battery terminal, place one lead of the multimeter on your battery and the other on the battery cable you just took off, make sure the multimeter is set up to measure amps and not milliamps, now while your friend is holding the multimeter, note how many amps are being drawn. Now start pulling fuses one by one until you find the circuit that is drawing the extra current.

how have your headlight motors been working lately?
Old 08-26-2010, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by 1994Z28Lt1
get a multimeter and a friend, disconnect the positive battery terminal, place one lead of the multimeter on your battery and the other on the battery cable you just took off, make sure the multimeter is set up to measure amps and not milliamps, now while your friend is holding the multimeter, note how many amps are being drawn. Now start pulling fuses one by one until you find the circuit that is drawing the extra current.

how have your headlight motors been working lately?
well my headlights have been working fine but awhile back i had a few fueses melt in the fuse panel and all my dash lights stoped working and i took it down and had it fixed. do you think there could still be a hot wire or somethin?
Old 08-26-2010, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by JM0523
Take it to an Interstate Battery distributor and request that they hook up the ED18 to it, its a free service they offer and they can find the draw.
i dont think we have an interstate battery in this town. does auto zone have a ed18?
Old 08-26-2010, 08:31 PM
TECH Resident

if you have a bare wire or something, or some sort of accessory that isn't shutting off when it should, the only way to really narrow down your search is by eliminating the circuits that are not the problem. if you want to diagnose it yourself you will have to start by doing what i told you a few posts up
Old 08-26-2010, 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

if you have a bare wire or something, or some sort of accessory that isn't shutting off when it should, the only way to really narrow down your search is by eliminating the circuits that are not the problem. if you want to diagnose it yourself you will have to start by doing what i told you a few posts up
This. Have you done any wiring or hooked anything up lately? Sounds to me like you have a short somewhere.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:40 PM

alright as soon as i get back in town from work ima try that. thanx alot for the advice man

Search this Thread