General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Gets hot with AC on

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 07:31 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Gets hot with AC on

OK i have done everything i can think of but she still gets hot about 230 when driving with the AC on but it only happens in the afternoon in the TX heat i cleaned the condenser and radiator oh the temp was confirmed with hp tuners.
any ideas?
Old 08-26-2010, 09:26 AM
WKF
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NINE8TA
OK i have done everything i can think of but she still gets hot about 230 when driving with the AC on but it only happens in the afternoon in the TX heat i cleaned the condenser and radiator oh the temp was confirmed with hp tuners.
any ideas?
On My 98SS , it was doing that ........ even with the fan on & driving @75+ MPH it would heat up. I clean the radiator..... checked coolant..... looked & looked for a HG leak.....

I had just bought the car (in winter)...... it was VERY well maintained when I got it. The previous owner had told me when I bought it that a full service had been done to the car.... cooling system & all.... (he gave me all the receipts). So you could imagine my surprise when I finally decided to look at the thermostat that had been replaced (supposedly) according to the work order 6 months earlier.
The thermostat wasn't there........
Alls I had to do was check the obvious LOL

Now once in a blue moon in traffic this summer the temp gauge will read just a hair under 210...... but it will quickly go back down if I hit the fan switch.
I guess the point of my long boring story is that I learned to be suspect of any work done to my car not by me or someone I trust. It caused me to overlook the obvious & ASSUME that it was done right. Double check everything if it wasn't done by you.
Old 08-26-2010, 02:33 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the info but i already replaced the stat. so i know it's not that and only happens when it is hot outside and the ac is on also it only after driving for about 20 miles or so.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:56 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

This is normal in very hot climates. Unless you are racing the car in this heat, then you shouldn't need to worry about it.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is not normal for a car to run at 230 degrees with the A/C on. I had the same problems.....did everything I could to fix it. Cleaned the condensor, changed coolant, changed tstat, all of that. It turns out that some of my fan relays were damaged......and the fans were not coming on HIGH SPEED. Changed those out, and it never gets over 200 with the A/C on, in summer heat and stop-and-go traffic.
Old 08-27-2010, 05:40 PM
Save the manuals!

TX = more hot than SC
Old 08-27-2010, 09:42 PM
On The Tree

Thanks i will give the relays a look.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine does a lil but not when im going down the highway.... just in stop and go traffic....and it still dont get over 190.....i blame it on the cold air kit being in front of the radiator
Old 08-28-2010, 12:37 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by wssix99
TX = more hot than SC
You ever been to SC in the summer time? It's not exactly cool here. It's not uncommon for it to get up to 105 degrees in August. Besides, me living in SC has absoutley nothing to do with his problem, not does it have anything to do with the suggestion I gave him. Even if it's only 80 degrees out, our cars will still overheat if the fans are not functioning properly.
Old 08-28-2010, 01:21 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

any ideas?
230* is wonderful in hot Texas heat with your A/C on......if the fans are working properly....look no further, thats normal.

Old 08-28-2010, 08:27 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by LS6427
230* is wonderful in hot Texas heat with your A/C on......if the fans are working properly....look no further, thats normal.

Yea, 20 degrees over in really hot weather is not a big deal and within tolerance for what the cars can withstand. If the temperature comes down to normal when the A/C is off, then that's great. If you stay hot with the A/C off, there's definitely a problem.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:55 AM
TECH Addict

I still don't agree that 230 is normal on a car with A/C on....even if you are the the equator. In 100 degree weather, mine runs a MAX of 202 with the A/C on, in stop and go traffic. An increase in 10-15 degrees of air tempterature should not warrant a car to run 30 degrees over.

Also, don't judge this off of your stock gauge, they are in no way accurate unless you have a 98 car.
Old 08-28-2010, 09:38 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by kyles2000z
You ever been to SC in the summer time? It's not exactly cool here. It's not uncommon for it to get up to 105 degrees in August. Besides, me living in SC has absoutley nothing to do with his problem, not does it have anything to do with the suggestion I gave him. Even if it's only 80 degrees out, our cars will still overheat if the fans are not functioning properly.
I meant no disrespect. I have existed in TX and SC in the summer and SC is way more uncomfortable and humid. (maybe with the exception of Houston) But, TX is consistently 10 degrees warmer, (dry heat) which makes a large impact on a stressed engine. (Humidity also doesn't fall in to the cooling equation here because radiators don't sweat like we do. Its all about air temperature.) Just a few degrees that puts the cooling system over the tipping point can translate to a higher engine temperature change.

That being said, if the fans aren't working correctly it causes the cooling system to be stressed and the same thing happens.
Old 08-28-2010, 09:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

what are your fan temps set to?

Ryan
Old 08-28-2010, 12:26 PM
Banned

Another thing that alot of people don't know.......the pavements across our country are made with different combos of stuff...The temperature at the surface is ALL that matters to a car, not the normal temperature reading in a city. If its 90*, the surface of the street is way over 100*.

Ground temps can go upwards of 150*. Thats the hot air your air dam is scooping up and blasting right into the condensor.

Here in Florida where it can be raining in the other lane and sunny in the lane your driving in.....I've been in traffic with the A/C on in bright sun...then 1 mile up the road I drive through a light rain drizzle where the surface of the road is probably 50-60 degrees cooler because its wet, and I watch my temp gauge sweep to the left in a hurry. Then coming out of the wet roads, it heats back up right away.

Old 08-28-2010, 01:21 PM
On The Tree

thanks for all the info changed the relays and the same thing i just checked the tune and the fan are set aliitle high for my liking so i'm going to have the tuner fix that and we will see what happens i do have a 160 stat. the thing is i have had the car for five year in tx where we had 52 days over 100 last year and it has never ran this hot. so i know something is a miss just not sure what it is. and for me at least the whole 98 gauge thing is BS the car say 210 hp tuners says 230 so ......
Old 08-28-2010, 01:55 PM
TECH Addict

Well I have only heard about 98 cars being "more" accurate.....my gauge is garbage as well. Once you overheat....it sure makes you want to buy an accurate gauge doesn't it?
Old 08-28-2010, 02:03 PM
Banned

thanks for all the info changed the relays and the same thing i just checked the tune and the fan are set aliitle high for my liking so i'm going to have the tuner fix that and we will see what happens i do have a 160 stat. the thing is i have had the car for five year in tx where we had 52 days over 100 last year and it has never ran this hot. so i know something is a miss just not sure what it is. and for me at least the whole 98 gauge thing is BS the car say 210 hp tuners says 230 so ......
I have a 98, and my dash guage is NOT accurate, never was. But I used a scanner and I know exactly what temps I run for whats showing on my guage.

I know you said you cleaned the condensor.....did you clean the outside or inside. I bet thats the problem, a little bit of dirt and debris built up on the outside will amount to running alot hotter.

Next time you run hot with the a/c on...simply turn it off. Wait about 3-5 minutes. If the temp comes down, the condensor is dirty. The outside of it.

Old 08-28-2010, 05:35 PM
On The Tree

I Took the radiator out flushed it and did the whole bang the condenser against the 2x4 thing but you maybe right i i can't figure it out this weekend i'm going to take it to get the ac system checked out. thanks again for all the ideas hopefuly i can get it done soon driving around with the windows down in 100 degree weather sucks lol. what temp gauge is everyone using? I have been looking at the aeroforce interceptor or may be just a autometer electric temp gauge.