General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

low idle then dies?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 08:05 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow low idle then dies?

Alright so yesterday I was just driving along for maybe 20 minutes and I slowed down to stop for a stopsign and then car just died. I tried restarting 2 or 3 times, didn't work, so I took the key out, put it back in, and the car fired up right away but to a low, stumbling idle. I tried turning around and heading how, and when id roll in neutral, it would go to that same idle then get back on the gas and it would die seconds later (maybe get 30 seconds max of driving). Car struggles to start unless I take the key out and start it again, in which case it starts right away. I can hear the fuel pump prime everytime, but I still think it could be fuel related, but I leave that to the experts. This has happened maybe 3 other times in the past 3 months, all of which it was excessively hot, but it has never been a continuing issue until now. Today, same issues persist.

So what could be the problem here? All gauges are showing good, plenty of gas, volts are good, only codes that were being thrown are for the o2s but that's cuz of the headers and lack of tune. Car also has ran perfect all of yesterday except for this.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:55 AM
12 Second Club

bump. anyone?
Old 08-15-2010, 11:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to tune the motor and eliminate the codes. Also dump some fuel injector in the gas tank and clean the MAF & TB with MAF sensor cleaner.
Old 08-15-2010, 02:48 PM
12 Second Club

codes are no issue, its just bad signal ro whatever from the rear o2s (which are gone). its been untuned for a while now, but i will try the MAF and TB cleaning. Injectors shouldnt be a problem since ill throw a gallon or 2 of E85 threw it once a month [if you are going to say it causes problems, go read the thread "hwo to run your LS1 on E85].

Also, started it up today, ran fine for the hour I drove it around and I parked it with no issues. I think its possessed
Old 08-15-2010, 02:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Unless your motor is set up for E85 you shouldn't use it. It dries out rubber seals & gaskets since it's alcohol based, which could be the source of your low idle problem. I run fuel injector cleaner every oil change and I have never had a fuel system related problem with any of the fuel injected cars I've owned over the years. And just because your car ran good before without a tune doesn't mean that's not the problem. As you drive your car the ECM adjusts many different parameters, so after a month or so a problem can pop up.
Old 08-15-2010, 04:05 PM
12 Second Club

the tune is probably coming beginning of next week but i can assure you the E85 is not the issue. 1 gallon out of a full tank isnt anything. read the thread i mentioned, alot of good info on it there. Not corrosive like methanol. I dont trust additives.
Old 08-15-2010, 04:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't see the reason for adding a gallon of E85 to your tank. Fuel injector cleaner works much better and it's a safe additive to use.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:32 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well had you known about cars then you would check the alternator and electrical system......but since you dont i can see how you wouldnt know.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:33 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

and oh yeah you dont run e85 unless your car is tuned for it. that could also be why you ride would run like ****.