General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Battery or Alternator

Old 09-03-2010, 03:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery or Alternator

so heres the story.in may i bought a 99 camaro z28,ran really well for about 2-3 weeks.then one day in june,im driving and all of a sudden the gauges started to shut off and on as im driving home.the gas meter was jumpin between full and empty and the speedometer was jumpin like crazy.thankfuly i made it home but the car shut off as soon as i turned in the drive way.the speed ometer was stuck passed the 150 mark.it seemed to be the alternator that went out and wen i replaced the alternator with a brand new one that seemed to fix the problem cuz everything was running good again and the gauges were working properly.

until 2day around 12 pm wen my car started to have a similar problem.
now everything seemed fine wen i left to go to the car wash which is about 5-10 minutes away from my house.after im done,i go to the leave and as soon as i start the car the speedometer flickered for about 2 seconds then went back to normal.now the gauges didnt shut off and on like they did wen the alternator went out,all the gauges worked fine while i was driving.i did notice that the battery meter was fastly goin down,once the battery meter fell down completely,thats wen the speedometer and other gauges shut off and my car shut down completely.

so wat do u guys think the problem can be.the alternator is only 2 months old,i dont know exactly how old the battery is,but im sure its 1 year or even older.anyways thx
Old 09-03-2010, 03:46 PM
Launching!

Thats not a battery issue.Sounds like maybe a ground wire!! Just to rule out the alternator get it tested, it's free at Just about any auto store.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

You have a short somewhere.

I burnt through one of my starter wires on my header which caused the gauges to flicker like you mentioned.
Old 09-06-2010, 03:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS-1Z28
You have a short somewhere.

I burnt through one of my starter wires on my header which caused the gauges to flicker like you mentioned.
that what happend with me before , I replaced the cable and checked the grounds and everything works good .

first thing check for grounds then the cable that goes from alternator to battery and starter , check for everything and you will solve this issue
Old 09-08-2010, 12:19 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by PONTIAC SLP
that what happend with me before , I replaced the cable and checked the grounds and everything works good .

first thing check for grounds then the cable that goes from alternator to battery and starter , check for everything and you will solve this issue
well 2day I finally got sum free time to check all the wires on my car and sure enough it was the wire that connects to the alternator that sumhow popped.I think it happened wen I installed the new alternator.but now everything is working fine so thx for the help
Old 09-08-2010, 07:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by g_carline
well 2day I finally got sum free time to check all the wires on my car and sure enough it was the wire that connects to the alternator that sumhow popped.I think it happened wen I installed the new alternator.but now everything is working fine so thx for the help
sounds good sir btw if that pigtail is damaged i recommend u to replace it with another new ones u can purchase it from ebay with a cheap price maybe around $10 and good luck

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Battery or Alternator