General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

HELP Car only starts randomly

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 07:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation HELP Car only starts randomly

Ok I really need some help guys , I have a friend who has a `00 TA WS6 6-speed his car only starts some times . For example out of about 20 time`s we tried to start it it only fired up twice , it cranks but thats it .
Now I have been reading about our vats system could this be the cause ? Also the car has a power drain coming from somewhere & had to recently re-place the battery is this related to vats ?

On a side note the car has had a portion of wiring replaced on one of the fuse boxes under the hood .

Any help would be really great THANKS !
Old 09-05-2010, 02:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That may be the problem, if the wiring got replaced and it an intermittant problem then I truthfully call that the suspect. If it was the VATS then the engine wouldn't crank at all. I would look more into the ignition relay. The would be a good place to start, it plays into the coilpacks and could prevent spark as long as your getting fuel. I would also say the clutch switch but the motor wouldn't turn over if that went out too.

If the VATS was going off then you would get the "SECURITY" light then it wouldnt crank locking the PCM down thinking its getting stolen. I would also see if any fuses are blown also to see if in the rewiring that a ground might be wrong. It would give you an idea of what circuit is possibly bad. Its alot of work but trying to help fella

And if you can find any splices anywhere then I would take a good look at those, that and look at connections (pins) as much as possible from what got replaced. If something was rewired wrong, who knows what havoc it can cause.
Old 09-05-2010, 05:45 PM
On The Tree

Thanks Verrry much DVS99TRANSAM , I think I`m going to rule out the vats too , also I forgot to mention the reason he had the wires replaced is because of the same problem he`s having now . So chances are it is the wiring that was replaced a couple of years ago . I`m think`n about switching the fan fuse & the ignition fuse that I have read about too .

Thanks a bunch .
Old 09-05-2010, 08:14 PM
Launching!

Sounds more like the ign relay or the solenoid. Either may car a power drain. If a fuse is popped there shouldn't be any power drain unless it popped because of a short out. Make sure u check the ground that comes directly off the battery. I mean the ground on the block itself and and the one that bolt onto the passenger fender well. All of those will cause it not to start and will show low voltage on ur gauges. If the security light is not on then it could be a slew of things. Those I mentioned above I would check first. Nine times outta ten it is something simple like these. Good luck