General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Transmission Y-pipe hanger / mount question

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 11:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Transmission Y-pipe hanger / mount question

Talking about the bracket with the rubber block that comes off the passenger side of the transmission tailshaft and serves as a mount for the y-pipe exhaust hanger.

The original one on my car was taken off. I got a replacement one and finally decided to put it on because I was thinking of rigging up a hanger for it for my LT y-pipe. For some reason it seemed like the holes in the new bracket were too narrow for the bolts running through the tailshaft. Also, I noticed there seems to be a bit of slop as the bolts run through the tailshaft as the holes they run through seem bigger than the bolts themselves. I didn't want to try to jam the bolts through the hanger bracket so I replaced the nuts for the time being.

I know that there is a difference in part between the manual and the auto for this piece, but did the auto V8 and V6 cars have the same piece, or is it also different? I have an auto, and the bracket / hanger I picked up definitely has "AUTO" stamped on it, and it looks like the one that used to be on the car. Is the torque arm just messing with the alignment of these bolts, and I need to try to put more pressure on it to get them to go through the bracket?