General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Royal Purple and Shell gas BAD?? False Rumor??

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 07:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Royal Purple and Shell gas BAD?? False Rumor??

So I work at a shop with some pretty knowledgeable gear heads, automotive school, what not. Same with me, I know some thangs. I run Royal Purple on my 03 Z06, and I have ran it in the past on my H/C camaro, and never have issues. Same with Shell V Power gasoline, I use this on my Z06 and my race bikes. I like the way it runs, and it keeps my motors cool which is why I run it.

He said Royal Purple is garbage oil, probably one of the worst. Iv heard a small rumor years ago about it not being good for NON drag racing cars due to it becoming sludgy if not changed after every run. He said he knows someone who ran royal purple and when they did a cam swap, it was one of the worst things they seen.

The car isn’t exactly a Daily Driver, it’s a weekend street warrior and a couple days outta the week cruiser. If Royal Purple is bad I want to get it outa there ASAP but I just cant see it being that bad. Is it ok to have it in there for the 3 months? I do the oil about every 3 months or 2 thousand miles cause I do race it and it defiantly gets worked. Any input would be much appreciated and sorry for the long post!
Old 09-08-2010, 08:40 PM
Launching!

i cant see r p being bad. if it was the stuff wouldnt be still on the shelves..
i will however suggest mobile 1, + 1 qt of lucas full syn. stabilizer.
all my **** has still managed to stay together.... stunna
Old 09-08-2010, 08:58 PM
Launching!

Well...there was this.

http://www.imakenews.com/lng/e_artic...mW6PM,b1M25KBS

I personally run Amsoil full synthetic and will continue to do so. I also use Shells V-Power after I got a bad tank of gas at Chevron.
Old 09-09-2010, 05:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

yea iv been doing research on it and cant really find any big cons on royal purple, no issues with it so Ill continue to run it
Old 09-09-2010, 06:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

$60 for an oil change is a bit salty for me. ill get my 3000 miles out of RP but after that ill go back to mobil 1
Old 09-09-2010, 07:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 608kZ28
$60 for an oil change is a bit salty for me. ill get my 3000 miles out of RP but after that ill go back to mobil 1
I've heard Mobil1 has degraded in quality. Their filters are still some of the best, but that's just what I heard. There are ppl that say RP is "bad" but usually people blame the oil when it is mire than likely something that was already failing anyways.

And if you think RP is expensive, get AMSOIL and see if you'll complain. Lol. I had RP in my SS with no problems. Switched to AMSOIL this past change and will continue to put that in. I just wish you didn't have to order AMSOIL everytime you need to do an oil change...

I always use either Shell gas or BP...but have been boycotting them since the spill in the gulf. I don't see why Shell gas would be bad? I've never had a problem with it.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Mobil1 filters are good for sure, I run K&N of with my RP
Old 09-10-2010, 08:16 AM
On The Tree

here's my take on the whole Royal Purple idea. I'm sure it's good stuff, it gets good reviews. But when I hear people say things like...

I run Royal Purple on my 03 Z06, and I have ran it in the past on my H/C camaro, and never have issues. Same with Shell V Power gasoline...
I just want to say. Well ya, and I run off the shelf 10w30 and 93 octaine from the cheapest gas station and never had a problem.

I apologize if this comes off as abrasive, but Motor Oil is Motor Oil and Gas is Gas... just because you spend vastly more cash on one doesn't make it vastly better then anything else.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:35 AM
On The Tree

If your looking for any kind of gas mileage, shell is not the way to go, I filled up 32 gallons in my truck and drove a long haul and got only 384 miles to the tank, when I needed gas again, i filled up with some gas from Kroger for $2.19 a gallon, and got nearly 500 miles out of the tank, thats a huge difference.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by stunna p
i cant see r p being bad. if it was the stuff wouldnt be still on the shelves..
i will however suggest mobile 1, + 1 qt of lucas full syn. stabilizer.
all my **** has still managed to stay together.... stunna
I'd stay away from ANY kind of oil additive. Just look on bobistheoilguy.com - lucas oil "stabilizer" can cause some pretty bad foaming. Not good. Besides, there really is no need to add anything extra to decent oil anyway.

Originally Posted by NastyC6
If your looking for any kind of gas mileage, shell is not the way to go, I filled up 32 gallons in my truck and drove a long haul and got only 384 miles to the tank, when I needed gas again, i filled up with some gas from Kroger for $2.19 a gallon, and got nearly 500 miles out of the tank, thats a huge difference.
Exact same kind of driving conditions?

I use BP as my Camaro consistently gets 1-2mpg better with it vs Speedway, Marathon, Kroger, etc... I've only gotten shell a couple times so I can't say much about it. Now with my truck I just got, I don't know what it prefers yet. I've only put one tank of gas in it so far.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:11 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by zachrywd_01TA
he
I apologize if this comes off as abrasive, but Motor Oil is Motor Oil and Gas is Gas... just because you spend vastly more cash on one doesn't make it vastly better then anything else.
Agree.

People are suckers for marketing bullshit. RP, Mobil 1, Amsoil......and others are bullshit synthetic oils and are absolutely no better than off the shelf non-synthetic cheap *** Castrol GTX for $2.50 a quart. I use Castrol GTX 20w50 in my 427ci and have for 145,000 miles and 8+ years and its still PERFECT, and I mean perfect.......oh, wait...."no issues". I love hearing people say that. "No issues"...... What does that mean, the engine is either fine or you blew it up......lol

Oil is oil. Synthetic oil is just a complete marketing scam rip off "oil" and just something for the gear heads to talk about at the bar.....

These oil threads are hilarious. They're hilarious because they do nothing to help anyone out. There's nothing you can do to change to another oil and make anything about an engine better. These LSx engines are basic, every day V8's. There is absolutely nothing special about them. Its a friggin GM engine, just like all the rest of them.

I will never toss money in the garbage and buy synthetic oils, not off the shelf oils anyway. If I ever decide to spend money on a synthetic oil, it will be the brands of oil that ARE NOT off the shelf joke oils like Amsoil, RP and Mobil 1, etc......it will be a badass, real synthetic oil.

Keep the **** clean...end of story.

Old 09-10-2010, 11:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LS6427
These LSx engines are basic, every day V8's. There is absolutely nothing special about them.
BLASPHEMY!

Old 09-10-2010, 11:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A good friend of mine has an 02 WRX he's owned since it had 40k miles on it. It made 400whp with bolt ons for over 100k miles of its 193k total miles when it spun a rod bearing. He used Royal Purple the entire time he owned it. When we built his motor the insides were clean and no sludge to be found. So thumbs up to RP oil from me.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SuperSport01
A good friend of mine has an 02 WRX he's owned since it had 40k miles on it. It made 400whp with bolt ons for over 100k miles of its 193k total miles when it spun a rod bearing. He used Royal Purple the entire time he owned it. When we built his motor the insides were clean and no sludge to be found. So thumbs up to RP oil from me.
It has nothing to do with the RP.....your friend is obviously like me.....we keep our oil CLEAN. Thats what does it.......

Old 09-10-2010, 02:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
BLASPHEMY!

I know...just making a point..............

Old 09-10-2010, 02:33 PM
11 Second Club

I top off my engine with Oil of Olay. There's nothing out there better to keep you going smooth and the internals entirely rejuvenated

Ok ok.. i have to agree with one thing in these threads... oil is oil. Except penzfoiled, only god knows what's in that garbage. Anyways, I've ran $2 a quart Castrol in my 76 since forever, and the last i checked the inside of my engine (factory pontiac 354) it still looked brand spanking new (can't say the same for the outside lol)

I do like RP in my ws6. Is it necesary? Nope... Over priced? Sure... But I'd like to think it really does a superior job of lubricating. The problem that people seem to have with it is that since it's advertised as being capable of extended oil change intervals, supposedly it eventually starts to break down leaving a graphite residue that can cause problems. I wouldn't know cuz i still change my oil every 3 or 4 months with maybe a thousand miles.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:54 PM
TECH Regular

i use it cuss i like the purple color.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LS6427
Agree.

People are suckers for marketing bullshit. RP, Mobil 1, Amsoil......and others are bullshit synthetic oils and are absolutely no better than off the shelf non-synthetic cheap *** Castrol GTX for $2.50 a quart. I use Castrol GTX 20w50 in my 427ci and have for 145,000 miles and 8+ years and its still PERFECT, and I mean perfect.......oh, wait...."no issues". I love hearing people say that. "No issues"...... What does that mean, the engine is either fine or you blew it up......lol

Oil is oil. Synthetic oil is just a complete marketing scam rip off "oil" and just something for the gear heads to talk about at the bar.....

These oil threads are hilarious. They're hilarious because they do nothing to help anyone out. There's nothing you can do to change to another oil and make anything about an engine better. These LSx engines are basic, every day V8's. There is absolutely nothing special about them. Its a friggin GM engine, just like all the rest of them.

I will never toss money in the garbage and buy synthetic oils, not off the shelf oils anyway. If I ever decide to spend money on a synthetic oil, it will be the brands of oil that ARE NOT off the shelf joke oils like Amsoil, RP and Mobil 1, etc......it will be a badass, real synthetic oil.

Keep the **** clean...end of story.

THAANKKK YOOOU! Couldn't have said it better myself. All these people that say "I ONLY run BP gas in my car, I ONLY put Valvoline in mine."....are idiots. They base it ALL off of what some dumb mechanic or commercial TOLD THEM. Oil is oil, gas is gas.....our cars are nothing special or exotic, and don't NEED anything special or exotic.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:40 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by egott_91

I had RP in my SS with no problems. Switched to AMSOIL this past change and will continue to put that in.
So why the change?

I get a kick out of how people can argue about which oil is better....got any proof....no they don't all they have is stories, I run this, and my motor needs that and all kinds of crap....If you want to run expensive oil then run it, if not then don't. But you shouldn't call people stupid for using expensive oil, just for pushing the "it's so much better" **** when they have no proof. If your motor blows up it's unlikley that it was becuse you used non-synthetic or synthetic oil.

I do however run RP in my car and I would not change LOL I've found that on MY car it holds oil pressure better after a long 90mph roadtrip in the heat using RP oil, that's my story.....is the money a waste, maby it is but I tell myself I'm doing the right thing LOL
Old 09-10-2010, 07:49 PM
Launching!

im suprised, no body uses lucas stabilizer??? interesting, i must be the only one...

Quick Reply: Royal Purple and Shell gas BAD?? False Rumor??