General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Shifted into reverse while traveling forward!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 05:22 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Shifted into reverse while traveling forward!!!

Now before you say "what an idiot"... here's what happened.

My 20 lb beagle was in the car with me on the passanger seat. She had her front paws on the center console. Some fool made a left turn in front of me and I jammed on the brakes. I wasnt moving too fast... somewhere between 20 and 30mph probably. When I did my poor dog went flying into the shifter - pushing it past neutral into reverse. Since i was jamming on the brakes it shifted right on into R. I guess she must have hit the button... or maybe you dont need to to go into R? Then i noticed that the engine had died. I shifted to N, restarted, and everything seemed fine.

Anyway... there were no horrible sounds except for the sound of screeching tires... no terrible grinding noises or popping noises. The engine just quietly went dead when all this cahos happened.

The transmission seemed to drive/shift just fine. I dont hear anything funny with the motor either... I guess I'm ok. Should I be worried about anything.

I thought I remember reading/hearing somewhere that theres some sort of electronic safety to prevent this sort of thing... maybe thats why my car shut off? Can anyone shed any light on this?
Old 09-10-2010, 05:54 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it was gonna break it would be toast by now. I've done the same thing and the tires screeched but it still works fine. And yes you need to push the button in to get into reverse.

You got lucky so go buy a lotto ticket.

Believe it or not i put mine in reverse on purpose at about 25 mph after a late night...I though i was driving stick and for 3rd LMAIO.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Long story short, either really, really bad things happen, or nothing really happens at all, even in old cars. You, like basically everyone else who has done it, are in the latter category. It's not really as big of a deal as people imagine it is. Of course, it's not a good thing to do, but if you didn't grenade the tranny, then you're good to go.

I'm sure your car didn't appreciate it, though.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

glad i got a manual... with the lock-out solenoid there are no accidental shifts into reverse while moving. You can still get into reverse while moving but you would need to purposely jam the shifter over to bypass the solenoid.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:21 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Precisely why I got rid of my Beagle............

You got lucky dude............

Old 09-10-2010, 07:35 PM
TECH Regular

just got back from driving it to the gym. seemed fine. I dont really hear any noises. I did some wandering online and it seems as though there should be some sort of electronic reverse lockout for when you're traveling forward.

http://autos.aol.com/article/reverse-transmission/
Old 09-11-2010, 07:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Your fine I did this years ago in my previous car and the same thing happened.... engine stalled, restarted engine no problems
Old 09-11-2010, 07:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

same here in my dads Jeep Cherokee. It was fine.