General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Leaking fluid above driveshaft

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 07:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaking fluid above driveshaft

I was informed by my step dad that i was leaving oil/fluid marks in the driveway when I got home and I promptly checked under my car. Nothing around the engine, so I moved back to the diff and apparently I am having some crazy oil/fluid leak that is around my drive shaft/torque arm area. The color is a really dark amber (dirty) and is most likely diff fluid, but I felt around as much as I could and couldn't find a leak spot, definitely not from the diff cover. It looks like the oil/fluid is hitting the underside of the car right above where the drive shaft and differential meet and it is leaking on my exhaust pipe and down both sides onto the ground. The car drives the same way it did the past three months I've owned it, strong, and no weird noises or anything. I have a video I will post probably later tonight, won't be great quality but I was squeezing under my car with no jacks. Any help figuring out what is leaking would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Old 09-13-2010, 07:55 PM
TECH Addict

Sound like it could be the pinion seal leaking
Old 09-13-2010, 08:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thank you, searching leaky pinion seal looks like thats the culprit. I hope I have enough fluid in the diff to last me 2 more days......