General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

A/C Blower intermittent

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 09:09 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A/C Blower intermittent

Having a blower issue. Start car, blower blows full and strong, over time the blower started slowly winding down to where you could hear the motor just barely turning until it completely stopped; then it would trun back on for a few seconds and stop again. Started messing with the blower motor and realized if I wiggle the power plug, it would come back on, took the motor out and determined it was the female plug inputing the power. Installed 12v wire in the female plug with appropriate connectors and attached to the motor in the same manner. Worked fine for a month; now its doing the same thing again; bought a new motor, haven't installed yet, think its the motor?
Old 09-16-2010, 02:07 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be the motor. You should take a light and look inside the plug itself and make sure the pins aren't overly compressed. Seeing as how easy it is to change the motor out, I would definately do that. Actually, I did do that a few months back. But make sure you check the plug out first. If you find the plug is loose on there or any of the pins inside are compressed enough where they would make poor contact or possibly oxidized...

You could do what I've done before with that situation. Take a pin or paper clip or whatever, and scrape up the pins inside the plug a bit. They could be a bit oxidized. Put a bit of dielectric grease in there. A little bitty bit. If a new motor and that little fix don't work, it may be time to buy a new plug and splice it in. I'd go with a new plug if at all available over a used one for obvious reasons.

Going by what you said you've done already, I would guess it's the motor. I've been wrong before and it could be a problem with the wiring itself further down the line, but go with the easy stuff first. 3 bolts hold that motor in. Easy as pie.

One recommendation. When you pull out the old motor... Reach your hand up in the hole and hunt for any leaves or debris. Then take a wet paper towel and stick it up in there and wipe off any dust, dirt and crap that may have got in there. Can't hurt, right? Plus if you find a leaf, those things make a heck of a racket when they are bouncing around inside the fins.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:50 PM
On The Tree

Thx for the post. I went ahead and put the new motor in, It'll be a few days before I know if it was the culprit. Thx again.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:17 PM
On The Tree

Looks like it was the motor, no problems since the swap.....con, new motor has larger but fewer blades, doesn't blow as hard.
Old 09-22-2010, 03:43 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm, odd. My new motor, even though the metal casing looked much different than the original, it had the same number and blades and blew just as hard, possibly harder. It was whatever was in stock at Advance Auto.

At least you solved the problem though. That's always a plus.